Escape 6/11/23 - Wester Caribbean Review

jkbec101

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review."

jkbec101 was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

NCL Air

One day deviation on arrival.  Got nonstop with AA from LAX to MIA arrived at 4:30pm.  Booked our own hotel.  No issues.

Return flight was on JetBlue FLL to LAX nonstop departed at 9:30 pm.  Rented a car for the day and saw the sights and did an everglade tour.

Cabin 12806 Balcony

The room was fine, albeit smaller than the 2br family villa we had on the Epic in September.  Cabin attendant was great, asked for extra towels and we had two sets each day.  Room was typically cleaned and made up each day by 10:30am.  

The Ship Overall

The ship was fine, aside from an internet package issue, we never had a problem getting where we needed to be.  The Ship was clean, for the most part the crew were friendly, we did have some that didn't seem to want to be there, but people have bad days sometimes.  It was crowded, we were told that there were a total of 5,200 guests on board and at times it felt that way.  

Specialty Dining

Ocean Blue - The appetizer (crab cake) and salad (wedge) were good.  The fish and chips had an off taste and was not good.  Everyone else in our party enjoyed their food.  Service was also good, not great, but good.

Cagney's - My steak was good, my wife ordered the Ribeye and said that the flavor was good, but it was more gristle than meat.  Everyone else enjoyed their dinner.  Service was as expected.  We were not rushed, but it wasn't slow either.  

La Cucina - My favorite of the entire cruise.  I had the carbonara as an entrée as did my daughter.  The rest enjoyed their food.

Teppanyaki - Always good, and while I enjoy the teppan show, the two chefs at the table behind us were just way too loud. We had to shout to be heard.  

Complimentary Dining

Buffett - This was way better than any other ship I've been on in the past.  NCL really upped their game here.

O' Sheehan's - This was good at times and just ok at others and really depended on when and where you ordered from.  Food was better if you ate at off times and seemed to be better if you ate in the actual restaurant portion rather than the bar area across the walkway.  Weird since it all came from the same kitchen.

Savor/Taste - We ate at both for breakfast and once for dinner.  Service at breakfast was ok, dinner not so much.  The food was also hit and miss.  At breakfast, once you ordered, it was difficult to get more food, or refills on drinks.  The one dinner we had, was ok, but for my daughter, the way under cooked the pasta on her dish.  

We had some issues during our dinner/breakfast service.  It was the same issue that repeated itself multiple times.  One or more in our party would customize a dish (my son ordered a plain hamburger from O' Sheehan's (no cheese) and they brought him a burger with cheese) and the customization would be ignored.  It wasn't a big deal, but an annoyance that better listening would have avoided.  

Entertainment

Pour House - Free show, no reservations, and a line an hour before show time, was our favorite show(s) of the entire cruise.  

The Choir of Man - Great show, reserve in advance.  Get there early and get a beer.

Howell at the Moon - Not very good.

Bars

District Brew House - My favorite.  I like beer.

Sugercane's was terrible.

All other bars including the pool bars were fine, hardly a wait and drinks were fine.

Misc.

We did have a major issue (for us).  We upgraded to the Free at Sea Plus, and while we got everything it allegedly offered, they left off the unlimited internet for me, so my wife and I had to share the wifi after they claimed it wasn't a part of the package.  Guest Services wasn't going to help and we left it, but it cost us a pretty penny.  We decided we would not get the Free at Sea Plus again, even if we didn't have the internet issue, we did not find the value in it. 

Port days

Our first port of call was Roatan and there was simply no organization when it came to disembarking that day, the same with Costa Maya.  It was a cattle call with everyone trying to get off the ship at the same time.  When we were on the Epic, guests with NCL excursions met in the theater and they then called individual excursions one or maybe two at a time, this allowed for easy disembarkation and one could easily walk off the ship and those who did not have an NCL excursion could walk off without having to fight the crowds.  We just wish that the crew of the Escape did the same.  

We were delayed getting into Costa Maya due to winds, but we made it and they extended our time by a 1/2 hour to make up for it.  

In case anyone cares, we did the following excursions:

Roatan - Wife and I Jolly Roger snorkel with lunch.  Fun trip.  Kids did ATV with animal sanctuary a beach, they could have done without the beach portion.

Harvest Caye - No excursion for the adults, the kids did the pedal board and ziplining and had fun.

Costa Maya - We all did the Mayan ruin tour (Chaccobean, sp?) and it was long, hot (no ones fault), but would not do it again.

Cozumel - Salsa and Salsa, this was a fun event, made margaritas and salsa, personally, I could do without the salsa dancing.  We did this as a family.

Overall, it was really hot and muggy, we expected humidity, but even the locals were telling us it was unusually hot.  Did not bring enough t-shirts. 

If we do another Caribbean cruise, it will likely be the southern or eastern Caribbean.  Would I do NCL again, yeah, but only in the Haven.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2