Aquanauts question.

How strict are they about pull ups in the 3-5 year age range? My son is 3.5 and MOSTLY potty trained, he has an occasional #2 accident. I was planning on keeping him in pullups during the trip just for convenience (so I don't have to clean messy underpants on the ship 🥴.) 

I will clarify that I do NOT expect them to change my son if he has an accident, I would gladly go get him. But I also don't want him to miss out on the kids club, he goes to school at home and LOVES to go see his "fwends" 

Any experience from past cruisers with toddlers?

They are strict about kids being potty-trained -- and they should be.  Imagine the discomfort of a child sitting /waiting while they contact you, and you make your way to the kids' club area.  Imagine the staff cleaning any "spillage" in the club -- maybe multiple times per day.  

Things you can do to set your son up for success: 

- Keep working with him at home, and "talk up" how fun the kids' club will be and how only potty-trained kids are allowed to go. 

- Take him to the bathroom immediately before dropping him off.  

- Don't let him drink a lot before being dropped off.  

- Each time you go, point out where the rest room is and emphasize that he should "try" often.  

Please also note that it is usually a strict rule on all of the cruise lines that they cannot help your child with any aspect of toileting under any circumstance to protect their employees.

If your child is newly potty trained, please send your child to the kids club in sweatpants or shorts that have no zippers or buttons because the kids club staff aren't allowed to help your child dress or undress and you don't want your kid fiddling with buttons when they really need to go. 

One of my children (who was completely potty trained for several years) had a bit of an accident  in the bathroom and was dirty where they weren't allowed to clean them.  They called me to the kids club, and asked me to come help my child wipe because they weren't allowed to do so.  If your child is newly potty trained, you should request a beeper (don't tell them its for potty training just tell them your child is scared in new situations) and that way they will be able to reach you if necessary.  But the kids clubs have the right to kick your child out after one accident, so if your child really isn't potty trained it's best not to send them.  But if there's a chance of an accident you might want a beeper.   

Carnival allows unpotty trained children to attend their kids club, and will change children up to the age of 5.  Pre-covid, princess allowed children under the age of 3 to attend the kids club with parental supervision, so they might allow parents of older unpotty trained children to also attend.   

Edited by kitkat343

Thanks so much for the tips, he is fully pee trained, we are just working on #2. I will continue to work on it with him. I appreciate the input. 

We are not interested in Carnival, the line is just not our vibe. Worst case I will just keep him with me throughout the cruise. 

Do they take the kids to the bathroom at scheduled times or rely on them to announce they need to go? My 3 yo has been trained for a year, but isn’t proactive - she could pee slightly before announcing she needs to go.