Hamilton from Auckland without renting a car

loveapug

We will be arriving in Auckland several days pre-cruise and I'm investigating places to visit. I'm intrigued by the Hamilton gardens, and cannot seem to find a tour out of Auckland. My husband does not wish to try driving "on the other side of the road". We are willing to try public transport. 

I see that there is a train that one may take out of Auckland to Hamilton, but it looks as if there is at least one transfer or taxi ride to travel from the train station to the gardens, and I can't tell what is involved in those transfers, or if taxis are easily available? Also, I cannot tell if round trip on the train is possible on the same day after allowing several hours to visit the gardens.

I also see there is a bus from Auckland, but I'm not certain about the transfers from the Auckland bus to the local bus to the gardens. 

The train ride sounds fun, and I would be willing to ride a train to Hamilton and take a return trip on a bus.

Hoping some of you might have some suggestions for us. Thank you in advance!

If you look here you will see that return in that direction is not possible on the same day.

https://www.tehuiatrain.co.nz/timetables/

For the Inter-city Bus look at

https://www.intercity.co.nz/north-island-buses/bus-auckland-to-hamilton

Whichever I would suggest a taxi to get to and from the Gardens.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I am following up on my original post, and thank you to those who offered suggestions. The gardens were spectacular, and my husband and I consider that visit one of the highlights of many wonderful experiences in NZ and Australia! 

We ended up taking the Intercity Bus from Auckland to the Hamilton bus station. It was an approximately 2 hour bus drive. The Auckland iSite was helpful in arranging the tickets for us. At the Hamilton bus station were several taxis, and we decided to try using Uber, which worked well going back and forth to the gardens.  FYI for a few tips:  There is a cafe at the gardens and also at the Hamilton bus station. The bus left Auckland on time. However, the bus from Hamilton to Auckland, that was scheduled to depart one hour prior to our scheduled time, was delayed by one hour due to road works. I believe it originated its journey in Wellington. Our bus arrived right on time. I mention this as I believe building flexibility into one's schedule with the bus for the return would be important. 

• Like 2