Can you help with LAX-Long Beach-Rental Car logistics please?

RCmommy

We arrive at LAX day before our cruise out of LB on the Panorama.  We arrive about 11:00am.  My plan is to grab a rental car so that we can putter around for the rest of the day.  The plan is to do a one way rental.  I have done a quick search and the price isn’t horrifying like some one ways can be.  (Unless they will drop a bomb once I really do follow through the booking). 

Anyway, I can either drop the rental the same night somewhere in LB, or the next morning before getting on the ship.  This is our first time in LB so also a first cruise from here as well.  My questions are…

1.  Are there some logistics I am not considering that could factor in to the plan?

2.  Which rental company has the closest or most convenient location to the pier?  We can just Uber or Lyft once dropping the car.  I understand the LGB airport isn’t that close so I’m thinking there is a closer car rental location.  I figure that dropping at LGB may be cheaper for the rental but will wind up costing more for the Uber to pier.  
3. Hotels.  Don’t have one picked out yet.  Considering the Queen Mary but looking at other options.  Which precruise hotel in LB is your first choice (other than the Queen Mary)?  If there happens to be one that has a shuttle to the pier that would take the cake!

I appreciate any and all information.  Only booked this cruise a couple weeks ago and I need to get my ducks in a row! 🙂

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

Avis has a counter in Downtown Long Beach, Enterprise does too.

I like the Queen Mary because of its uniqueness and history. Other than that, I'd choose the Hotel Maya DoubleTree, Residence Inn and Hyatt Centric.

Perfect.  I will look into those two locations for rentals and the hotels you suggested.  Thank you.

Remember, it my be a good idea to drop your luggage at the cruise terminal BEFORE returning your rental car...Makes that last leg back to the ship much easier.

As to hotels, I have my Long Beach A list--

My favorites, in order, would be the Hyatt Centric at the Pike, Hyatt Regency, Renaissance and Westin (those four because they are directly in the "Convention Center" area--very cose to a LOT of restaurant choices, shopping and the Aquarium of the Pacific (if one wishes to visit there)...and a fairly short ride across the bridge to the Carnival Termainal.

Across the bridge and closest to the Terminal (even walking distance), but a short ride to restaurants and shopping, are the Maya Doubletree and the Residence Inn Downtown.

I do NOT include the Queen Mary on my A List since I just don't like it as a hotel.  As a tourist attraction, yes.  As an historical relic, very intriguing.  But as a hotel? (and I HAVE stayed there)...I think it's been historically poorly run and maintained.  It's set-up and guest rooms are inadequate--dark and claustrophobic.  But, if you want the experience of what it may have been like to journey on an Ocean Liner circa 1930, before balconies, modern conveniences and amenities, well, this is it.  And it is as close to the Carnival pier as you can get.   OTOH, since, under your plan, you'd have a rental car and would be returning it that morning, there may be little reason to have a hotel close to the pier.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

Remember, it my be a good idea to drop your luggage at the cruise terminal BEFORE returning your rental car...Makes that last leg back to the ship much easier.

As to hotels, I have my Long Beach A list--

My favorites, in order, would be the Hyatt Centric at the Pike, Hyatt Regency, Renaissance and Westin (those four because they are directly in the "Convention Center" area--very cose to a LOT of restaurant choices, shopping and the Aquarium of the Pacific (if one wishes to visit there)...and a fairly short ride across the bridge to the Carnival Termainal.

Across the bridge and closest to the Terminal (even walking distance), but a short ride to restaurants and shopping, are the Maya Doubletree and the Residence Inn Downtown.

I do NOT include the Queen Mary on my A List since I just don't like it as a hotel.  As a tourist attraction, yes.  As an historical relic, very intriguing.  But as a hotel? (and I HAVE stayed there)...I think it's been historically poorly run and maintained.  It's set-up and guest rooms are inadequate--dark and claustrophobic.  But, if you want the experience of what it may have been like to journey on an Ocean Liner circa 1930, before balconies, modern conveniences and amenities, well, this is it.  And it is as close to the Carnival pier as you can get.   OTOH, since, under your plan, you'd have a rental car and would be returning it that morning, there may be little reason to have a hotel close to the pier.

This is great info and I really appreciate all of it.  

The more I read and look in to it, I don’t think the Queen Mary is for us, as a hotel.  I did take a look at Hotel Maya.  I think the Convention area you suggested is where I’ll focus.  

As for the rental car, it would likely mean less if a headache if we drop it off the night before.  Maybe one of the locations mentioned has the after hours drop off availability.  I’ll see which hotel is close to one of the car rental locations.