TRANSPORT IN BARCELONA (taxi, metro, bus, etc... to the city, port and airport). All information and questions!!

alserrod

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

Never used train but have taken Aerobus from BCN (and return) to Placa Catalunya then walked to hotel.  Used Metro a lot in Barcelona and never had any problems.

https://aerobusbarcelona.es/?lang=en

I looked at the Aerobus, but I think we would need to take it to Universitat and then still take the metro to Paral-lel station.  Is that better than taking the train to Passeig di Gracia and then the metro?

Or should I just eat the cost of convenience and take a taxi...

5 hours ago, desibee said:

Has anyone here taken the train from the airport to Passeig de gracia and then the metro to their hotel?

It seems like this would be a lot cheaper than taking a taxi, I am just worried about logistics such as hauling luggage on the metro and avoiding pickpockets.

Hello:

It can really save you a lot of money if you use the rodalies (suburban) and the metro from the airport. The two "problems" you are going to have are arriving in a new city and having to get used to its transportation as well as a longer travel time. Nothing else.

About pickpockets....they are pickpockets, not thieves. Check your luggage, don't lose sight of it and don't have anything valuable that can be easily taken from your pockets or bags. Make it difficult.

The problem is not the insecurity of being robbed but of having something taken from you carelessly.

3 hours ago, desibee said:

I looked at the Aerobus, but I think we would need to take it to Universitat and then still take the metro to Paral-lel station.  Is that better than taking the train to Passeig di Gracia and then the metro?

Or should I just eat the cost of convenience and take a taxi...

Aerobus+metro is more expensive than Rodalies (suburban) +metro. Time is quite similar.

To go to Paral.lel station do not get off at P.Gracia but just in Sants station. Take there line 3.

About fares for transport

Option 1, single ticket for suburban + single ticket for metro

Suburban: 4,10 euro  (Airport is in Zone 4)

Metro: 2,55 (single ticket)

total: 6,65 euro

Option 2, single ticket for metro to airport

You MUST use line 9 of metro instead of suburban. It takes 15 minutes more. Later, you change to line 3

total: 5,50

Option 3, 10 tickets Rodalies for airport

It cost 41,85 euro (for 10 tickets) and you can use all Rodalies (up to airport included) and metro for 10 times. Multiple travellers are accepted

If you are only two people it doesn't worth. If you are more than two people, it worth

Option 4, Aerobus + metro

You may add 2,55 euro to aerobus tickets

There are "Taxi stand" in Barcelona cruise pier.

This means taxi can go there and just stand in a queue. For a user it is easier to go there and grab one taxi. As user you must grab first taxi in the queue always. 

As you can see in the image, there are taxi stands in front of Terminals A, B, C and D

image.thumb.png.aa5303d37cea01fe97aa135ea84ce46a.png

9 hours ago, alserrod said:

There are "Taxi stand" in Barcelona cruise pier.

This means taxi can go there and just stand in a queue. For a user it is easier to go there and grab one taxi. As user you must grab first taxi in the queue always. 

As you can see in the image, there are taxi stands in front of Terminals A, B, C and D

image.thumb.png.aa5303d37cea01fe97aa135ea84ce46a.png

Last time I was in Barcelona cruise port I waited over two hours in the taxi queue.  Is this normal?

1 minute ago, dpm321 said:

Last time I was in Barcelona cruise port I waited over two hours in the taxi queue.  Is this normal?

Hello

Absolutely it is not.

In which terminal were you?

At what time on the day?

1 hour ago, alserrod said:

Hello

Absolutely it is not.

In which terminal were you?

At what time on the day?

I don't recall which terminal we were in but it was around 9 in the morning along with two other ships.

10 hours ago, dpm321 said:

I don't recall which terminal we were in but it was around 9 in the morning along with two other ships.

Hello:

At the taxi rank there is no "obligation" for taxis to be waiting. They are simply places where taxis can stop and it is a fixed pick-up point. In places where there is a lot of demand for taxis, it is more convenient for everyone to go to a taxi rank.

Taxi drivers own their own business and as "entrepreneurs" they decide whether they prefer to be waiting at taxi stops or driving around the city. They will go where they believe there is more demand.

At a train station or airport you will always see taxis because trains or planes are constantly arriving. They know that sooner or later they will have clients. At the port they know that the ships arrive in the morning. Quite a few will come until a certain time. At nine o'clock it will be difficult for any taxi driver to risk driving empty for several kilometers so that... there may not be anyone who wants a taxi and they will have to turn back.

Therefore, if there are no taxis, you do not have to wait for them to arrive. You simply have to call any taxi company in Barcelona and they will send you the closest one (booking by taxi has a small additional cost, but really little compared to the total cost). Years ago they consulted by radio which one was available. Nowadays a computer will send the request to the nearest taxi and you will receive it in a very short time.

It is even possible that there were taxis waiting at other stops in the port (there are several, one in front of each terminal). If called, go to one of those stops to pick you up.

Had two bad taxis today. Wanted to go from the terminal to Sagrada Família. First taxi agreed to go there and then while driving through the port claimed he only operated in the port and would drop us by the port bus stops. He had a 9.50 surcharge on the meter and wanted the 17.50 it was showing for that short trip. The second taxi we hailed from there turned the meter off when we got in and wanted 35 to go the cathedral. The total trip should be around 23 so be careful. We used buses for the rest of the day, they take Apple Pay so it's very easy.

7 hours ago, jay1283 said:

Had two bad taxis today. Wanted to go from the terminal to Sagrada Família. First taxi agreed to go there and then while driving through the port claimed he only operated in the port and would drop us by the port bus stops. He had a 9.50 surcharge on the meter and wanted the 17.50 it was showing for that short trip. The second taxi we hailed from there turned the meter off when we got in and wanted 35 to go the cathedral. The total trip should be around 23 so be careful. We used buses for the rest of the day, they take Apple Pay so it's very easy.

It is a pity they do not give a good service.

Next time call police. It is enough to dial 092 from any phone. Taxi driver knows that if police proves he doesn't want to drive your query he would be fined

Best side... you noticed you could use buses (and underground). It is easy and... cheaper.