Spirit question - Port Canaveral car rental?

Nic'sMama

APO on the Ports/USA msg board, but it's a lot slower than this one!

We are traveling on the Spirit in May, and at Port Canaveral, I am interested in renting a car (with a carseat for my 16 month old) at Avis, to go to Disney for the day, instead of going thru NCL. From what I have seen, Avis is about a mile from the port in the Radisson. Does anyone know if taxis are readily available when you get off the ship, or do you need to make arrangements ahead of time?

Thanks.

You can call ahead of time and someone will be there to pick you up. We are renting a car in June when we are at Port Canv. We are using Hertz, mainly because my husband always uses them with business. Alittle bit more money but reliable. Some where on the boards there was a list of all the rental car companies in Port Canveral and the reviews and prices. Check the Ports board, maybe.

Also we went to disney in dec 3-10th with a 2year and 6 year. It can be really crazy. The Magic Kingdom had such long long lines. Much more crowded than the other parks. My 2year old didn't have much patience for the waiting in line. One piece of advice...don't put the 3-d glasses on the young ones...my son freaked. If you have any questions about Disney let me know? We are going back in April 2007...so I guess you can say ...it wasn't that bad. But I'm not taking an excursion from The cruise ship in June. I just think it would be too crowded in the summer.

We rented from Hertz last week, it was very easy, hertz had a van on the pier when we got off the ship. The driver radioed ahead on the way to the office and they were all ready with the car when we got there. We provided them with our credit card information signed the rental car agreements and were on our way in no time. We got off the ship at about 9:10 am and were in the car by 9:30 am. We went to Typhoon Lagon ( Disney water park) we got there about 10:45 am, it was an easy drive with just a few turns to watch for. On the way back we left Orlando about 4:30 pm and had dropped the car off and were back on the ship by 6:15 pm.

Thanks, that is just what I needed to know. I actually just booked Budget, good to know that they pick up at the pier.

For Disney, we were thinking to go to Epcot, mainly for myself and my DH's enjoyment. We think Nic is too young to really enjoy the park, but he will probably just have a good time looking around.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.

Thanks, that is just what I needed to know. I actually just booked Budget, good to know that they pick up at the pier.

For Disney, we were thinking to go to Epcot, mainly for myself and my DH's enjoyment. We think Nic is too young to really enjoy the park, but he will probably just have a good time looking around.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.

One more thing. The Car Rental Companies close early in that area. So if you are returning the car after they close (5:30 or 6:00) You can drop off the keys in a door box. Make sure you get a cab phone number so you can call. Last year there was a cab waiting by Avis when we returned. This year I called the number that the shuttle driver gave me (It was him in a private car. ($10.00 back to the ship.)

We are booked with budget on April 11th. I was told that the shuttle stays till 6:30 on the days that the Spirit is in dock. We also plan on going to a Disney Waterpark and plan on getting back to the ship before 6:30.

Archived