What has everyone done that is NOT close to port?

Marie2

Hello, I am looking for ideas for St. Croix. We were interested in Buck Island (mainly for

the beach) but snorkel trail as a bonus. We contacted Big Beards as their tours look wonderful but we were told we would have to do a half day in the afternoon or a full day (won’t be off ship in time for am half day) My hesitation with this is that we need to get a taxi to Christensted and of course one back. Ship leaves at 6 and tour is done in Christiansted at 4 and it takes 45 minutes to get back to Fredericksted. That is cutting it too close to my liking. The ships tour is nearly 200.00 pp and it’s only 4 hours long (1.5 hours snorkel and doesn’t look like any beach time)

so doesn’t seem worth it. Are there any beaches that are like the buck island beach (beautiful blue water, white sand?) I am not interested in the beaches in Fredericksted as at least from pictures

they don’t look very nice. Anyone have success with Big Beards or have another excursion recommendation? We prefer beaches away from the crowds and don’t necessarily need water sports, chairs etc.