Necessity shopping in Junea, Sitska, and Ketican

babytraveler

Well, since I'm traveling with a 2 year old and a 5 year old...

Does anyone know if there is shopping available in above ports within walking distance of piers for things like diapers, wipes, snacks, etc. I'm hoping to travel light and restock enroute if I run low. Is it all charming shops, or can I also find supermarkets and pharmacies?

Thanks!!!!

Also, has anyone ever tendered with a 2 year old? Is that risky? Should I plan on skipping that port?

Thanks again!!!!

Well, I'm not sure how much help I can be, as I have yet to go to Alaska (cruising this August), but my youngest did start cruising with us when he was 2. We have only gone on tenders at Catalina Island, and I don't know how that stacks up with the tenders in Alaska for length/roughness, but my son did just fine on them. It was probably his favorite part of the trip! He would have been happy going back and forth on the tenders all day *LOL* Of course, my son is very adventuresome, so if your 2YO is timid I could see how tendering could be intimidating. Just keep a hand on your little one during the ride as a safety precaution...

Also, I saw somewhere else on this board that one of the Alaska ports has a Wal-Mart a short way from the pier. Apparently there is a free shuttle but the cruise ship crew members usually clog it; the post I'm thinking of suggested taking a taxi instead. I'll try to find the info and post it here. I know how you feel about trying to keep the diapers etc to a minimum in your packing.

In Ketchikan there is a pharmacy right across the street from Tongass Trading

It's right on the dock. You could also take a quick taxi ride to Safeway or a more senic ride out to WalMart...

There's a grocery store in Ketchikan that's within walking distance, it's about a block off the main shopping street, there's also a WalMart, but I'm not sure you can walk there. We picked up snacks at the grocery store. A lot of the crew came back to the ship with Walmart bags, and we passed it when we went on our excursion. Juneau probably has plenty, since it's the capital, I had to stay on the ship that day. I've not been to Sitka, but they have families living there, so you can probably get stuff pretty easily (though not cheaply) there too.

Thanks everybody! As long as I can replenish diapers, wipes, and snacks and juice, that cuts down a lot of anxiety about having to calculate how much I'll use of everything. I'm hesitant to travel on buses or cabs with 2 year old not in car seat, so planning on strolling about.

Many of the cabs carry car seats. But if you are intent on walking Tatsudas IGA in Ketchikan is within walking distance. Its south of the cruise ship dock about 1/4 mile. At the pink "FEDERAL BUILDING" turn right and head down the sidewalk. Just remember when you are in Ketchikan always use the SIDEWALKS!!!!!

Archived