Galapagos Shore Excursions

janesm

We're scheduled for the June 11 trip on the Xpedition. There is a choce at most ports of high-activity, medium-activity, or low-activity. I'm writing to see how strenuous the high-activity excursions are. My husband and I are in our low to middle 50's. Does anyone have any advice pertaining to shore excursions? If you can see much more going the strenuous route, then it might be worth it to risk aching muscles each day. Otherwise, the medium activity appeals to me, although my husband will probably prefer the high activity excursions..

We did do the Sydney Bridge climb and that was not at all a stretch - it was definintely worth it. Hope that helps. Thanks!

Jane

We did the medium excursions and they are comparable in what we saw to the high level. Every night on board the cruise director will show you pictures and explain the difference. The killer excusrion is one that has so many stairs most people don't reach the top.

We're scheduled for the June 11 trip on the Xpedition. There is a choce at most ports of high-activity, medium-activity, or low-activity. I'm writing to see how strenuous the high-activity excursions are. My husband and I are in our low to middle 50's. Does anyone have any advice pertaining to shore excursions? If you can see much more going the strenuous route, then it might be worth it to risk aching muscles each day. Otherwise, the medium activity appeals to me, although my husband will probably prefer the high activity excursions..

We did do the Sydney Bridge climb and that was not at all a stretch - it was definintely worth it. Hope that helps. Thanks!

Jane

The high intensity excursions are no problem for just about anyone not in a walker.The only difficult one was one that involved climbing up the three hundred something steps and even that was do-able for most at a slow pace.

You will find however that it is a good idea to do some of each to see a variety of animals.

Many of the high intensity trips are leisurely but long hikes ,sometimes over eneven terrain. The moderates are often flat beach walks,and the low intensity may be panga rides. You will see birds in the hills,sea lions and iguanas and different birds at the beaches and penguins,birds and turtles from the zodiacs.

But no need to sweat it. The daily briefings will explain all you need to know---there is never a limit to how many can go so relax and decide when the time comes.

The only truly taxing excursion for some, was the advanced snorkle--I beleve it was an optional one. The currents were strong and it was not for beginners.Even good snorklers might find it challenging yet even there,there was no need to fret as the panga drivers keep a watchful eye and if you need to abort you are aided immediately.

To repeat it is not necessarily better to do all high intensity.Better to do a variety,something like 7 high,4 medium,3 easy.

The most "dangerous" activity was the high intensity 24/7 open bar.

This is a trip geared for aging baby boomers that you will cherish always.

Hi Jane, You should be fine on any or all of the high intensity excursions. They are generally pretty slow paced and not all that strenuous. The only thing about some of the high intensity excursions is that some of them are over pretty uneven terrain. So, you do have to pay attention to where you step. They have walking sticks, which work well. I didn't use one because I had a camera with me and I didn't want to have to fool with both of them. Once or twice there were some tricky steps, but your naturalist will be there to help everyone get up or down. My wife and I split doing different types of excursions. You can take only low intensity excursions and have the time of your life!!! As Drfun mentioned you will typically see different types of animals on the low intensity (read that zodiac only excursions). For instance one of the low intensity excursions we saw a lot of penguins, which the medium and high intensity excursions didn't see. Also, I might add that even if you're on the same type of excursion as someone else, but you're with a different naturalist, you may see different animals. But, no matter which excursion you take, you will enjoy it.

I highly recommend that you go to each of the evening slide shows. If you're still not sure which excursion to go on the next day, talk to the CD afterwards. Then, sign up!

Dave

Jane--we are leaving in two weeks :) I have been thinking alot about the excursions. My concern is not with the intensity but which excursion gets you closer to the most animals. I have read on various trip reports that its better to visit the Darwin center on Tuesday (not Saturday) and the high intensity hike on Espanola Island is not to be missed. Any other tips from past cruisers?

Jane--we are leaving in two weeks :) I have been thinking alot about the excursions. My concern is not with the intensity but which excursion gets you closer to the most animals. I have read on various trip reports that its better to visit the Darwin center on Tuesday (not Saturday) and the high intensity hike on Espanola Island is not to be missed. Any other tips from past cruisers?

I don't think Darwin Center day makes much difference, As far as which trip takes you closer to the animals...they all bring you within feet to inches...different trip intensities expose you to different species based upon location as I said above.It's all about location,location,location. Also repeated MANY times is the fact that all will become clear during the daily briefings.Relax,you're not going to miss anything unless you try to.

Here's a good link with island info:

http://www.galapagosonline.com/Islands/Galapagos_Islands.htm

From a physical standpoint, the steps on Bartolome are probably the toughest. Espanola is awesome - just be careful on the rocks. Out trip had more cuts and bruises there than anywhere else. As mentioned previously its more important to have good shoes and a sense of balance than sheer physical endurance for most of these tours. As weird as it sounds, you need to pay attention to where you step. Its easy to get distracted. When you get there, you'll understand ....

We went in early October, the cool season. The turtles at the Darwin Center were more active in the AM than the PM ...

Its a great trip no matter what you do ...

Frank

• 3 weeks later...

High, low or medium, your only worry about how close you get to the animals will be paying attention not to STEP on them. Everyone on the board is right; choose the activity level that appeals to you. My husband and I just went with another couple; we did almost all high, they low or medium. Comparing notes, we all had comparable (WOW) sightings. If anything, as mentioned, sometimes you get closer by zodiac (low-intensity) than during land hikes. You will see many folks older than yourselves on this trip, so realize that "high-intensity" is a relative term. We are 50-ish and found it all easy. Be sure to carry water and take frequent sips to stay hydrated. Enjoy!

Archived