Can two persons from the same cabin/reservation can check-in at different time?

Sim1979

We are doing a transat, so my plan was to drop my wife to the terminal with luggages and then go park the car to the JFK airport (so we would pick up our car when we get back from the return flight).

I would like my wife to check-in and get on board instead of waiting for hours in the terminal waiting for me to come back.

Can we check-in at a different time?

I know the site ask for a check-in time but i know it's not enforced usually, so we could chose the earliest and i will arrive later.

yes.

it's true they don't really check arrival times at the terminal (*sigh*), but you'll be fine as long as you're close to your check-in time. for what you plan to do, you'll probably want to drop your wife off as early as possible. alternatively, you could just drive to JFK with her and then take a cab or car service to the terminal. you're going to have to pay for that ride anyway, so it's just a choice. if you do it early enough, it won't really affect you or your wife getting onboard and enjoying all the ship has to offer. and if there's any waiting, you'll be doing it togetehr.

but in answer to your question, yes, two people traveling together can check in independently.

they will tell you that you can't, but you can.

i did a back to back a couple of years ago out of new york.

i did a 5 night solo. and then my traveling companion boarded in new york for the second leg, a ten day itinerary. i stayed on board. she checked in amidst repeated questions about where i was, when was i coming, how come i wasn't with her... and she kept telling them i was already onboard. eventually, somebody listened. although we may have had to get the haven concierge involved.

remember that the "NCL" team members who work at the manhattan cruise terminal are contract employees who don't have a lot of knowledge of NCL's systems or policies. so it may be a struggle. the more i think about it, the more you may want to do this together and take a taxi together from the airport. that would be my recommendation, but it does sound like you're committed to the other way.

so, the short answer is yes, you can do this.

but you'll have to be really explicit about what is happening as each party checks in.

well, you can certainly do that.

luggage would complicate it for sure.

i'm sure you're aware that the train doesn't actually go all the way to JFK? (it's one of the world's least efficient airport transportation systems!) it's a free shuttle to the subway and then straight into manhattan. you'll want the A or the E and you'll want to get off at 42nd street. but you'll want to be at the back of the train, because your preferred exit will be 44th and 8th avenue.

either way, it's a tradeoff. if it were up to me, i'd do the trip together, take a car service or cab ($70 flat fee + tolls and tip from JFK). you can deduct your solo subway fare of $8.25 off the top! get to the airport and the ship earlier and enjoy more time together. when you compare it to the cost of the entire trip, it's a very small fraction of your total expense... probably just over $100,

• Like 1

Another possibility is to drop your luggage in the morning (9 - 10 AM), then drive both of you to JFK. Grab some lunch somewhere and head back to the terminal in a cab or Uber.

Personally, I don't mind taking public transit to/from JFK, from Manhattan, but I know when I suggest this a lot of people whine and moan about it. In your scenario, I would take an Uber as I would want to get onboard as soon as possible.

• Like 2

this is a great idea! others have posted that they sometimes drop their luggage and then go and explore manhattan for a few hours before boarding the ship. there is no requirement for passengers to enter the building and checkin once the luggage has been dropped off.

• Like 2