Panama City Hotels Old Town area? Where would you stay?

whtdog

Greetings, 

We are sailing a full transit of the Panama Canal on the NCL GEM in December 2024.  We need a great hotel in the old town area for a couple of nights post cruise.  I love boutique hotels but, we take all recommendations!!! ♥️ A little early Salsa, Bachata dancing 💃🕺nearby would be nice too.  Too old for the late night clubs.

we like to wander around and see all we can.

ideas please 🙏🥰

Lori

1. There are some upscale hotels on the smaller side sprinkled around the Casco Antiguo as well as some like restaurants.  This is not a recommendation as I have not stayed there as it was still under re-construction when I was last there.  That is the very upscale Sofitel Legend in the Casco Viejo which has quite a history to it dating all the way back to before the Canal even was opened.  Back then it was known as the Union Club and was a big hangout for the luminaries during that time.  However it may be something of interest to you.

As far as wandering around, during the daytime in the Casco I think it is reasonably safe, however at night I don't think I would do any wandering outside of areas specifically that were not recommended by whatever hotel you are staying at.  I would use a cab or shuttle from/to the hotel wherever I could.  Even though the area is inhabited by some very influential people, the Casco is not a particularly large area and the flavor of the neighborhood can change quickly.

Regarding some early Salsa or Bachata...  no recommendations for early or late!  Sorry, had to look up Bachata which apparently originated in the Dominican Republic.  Even though I was just in the Dominican Republic, I did not encounter any Bachata... lol.

Note:  I use Casco Antiguo (or just the Casco) to describe the area of Casco Viejo.  Either term any local will know what you are speaking about.  I differentiate mainly because often times I am also speaking about Panama Viejo which are the ruins of the first settlement.  Casco Antiguo came after Henry Morgan "visted" back in 1671.  Think multiple Viejos add to the confusion.

• Like 1