New standby option--$79/day for veranda

Updated Standby list now shows the option to book a veranda standby for $79/day. If one isn't available, you will be offered an inside/oceanview for the lower price of $49/day if available, or you have the option to cancel and get a refund. Seems like a good way to get more money out of the program and to satisfy the people who don't want to risk getting an inside cabin. I'm happy that they're increasing options and fine-tuning the program to make it more sustainable and worthwhile for them and for passengers, although I did feel pretty special getting a signature suite on my first standby attempt. For a solo passenger who loves HAL but not current solo pricing, it's a great deal, although it will be an adventure trying to get a standby spot on an Alaskan cruise this summer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

I'm envious of people with lifestyles that make this a more viable option. Those who have more flexible schedules than me, and also maybe live near busier ports with more interesting itineraries. 

But then again, at this price I just might put down my money for a shot at a cruise from Boston, and maybe make plans for an alternate vacation on refundable reservations for if I don't get the golden ticket. I won't sail to Canada for $3000. For $525? Yeah, maybe.

• Like 1

This might be a good deal for a single, but I doubt it for a double.  There are 3 cruises on the Konigsdam from next Nov/Dec from San Diego which are priced at $106 and $112 per day for veranda cabin.  In my experience,  these will be even cheaper 60 to 90 days before departure.   Easier to just book a regular low price.   

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Eric from San Diego said:

This might be a good deal for a single, but I doubt it for a double.  There are 3 cruises on the Konigsdam from next Nov/Dec from San Diego which are priced at $106 and $112 per day for veranda cabin.  In my experience,  these will be even cheaper 60 to 90 days before departure.   Easier to just book a regular low price.   

Well, they aren't offering it for every sailing. Currently only some from Whittier, Seattle/Vancouver, Boston, Montreal/Quebec City, and one from Ft Lauderdale. Looking quickly at the Boston options the only sailing where standby is not a substantial saving for a double-occupancy inside cabin sails tomorrow

For every other Boston sailing on the standby list, a standby veranda would be cheaper than a standard fare inside cabin. 

Edited by Menocchio