Princess Australia Cruises - Do you pay tips/tax on drinks purchased if you DON’T have a package?

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

The cruise lines certainly don't pay the stewards/bartenders the equivalent of  Australian hospitality casual rates. There are a lot of Aussies working on cruise ships based overseas mainly on cruise staff, as bartenders etc. They are supposed to report their overseas-earned income to the Aust Tax Office and pay tax, but the cruise lines don't make the tax deductions that Aussie employers do. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the Aussies working overseas, 'forget' to report their income to the ATO.🙂

Even some of the local higher-level staff had to move overseas to keep their jobs. Seems strange, no Aussie CDs on P&O, yet they have Aussie CDs here on Carnival.

I think the short answer with why they don't have Aussie staff is very closely aligned with why the ships aren't registered here. Even P&O Australia is not much more than a sales & marketing office.

Foreign owned, foreign ships, foreign staff, yet if they were Aussie owned, Aussie flagged with Aussie staff, very few of us could afford to cruise.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Kiwias said:

Hi all, thanks for your help.  Some VERY basic calculations for my trip - based on a (very) conservitive 2 alcaholic drinks a day (even mum would drink that), a soft drink/water a day, one desert, no gym AND splitting the internet cost in half (if we didnt have the package mum and I would share - one device at a time!) it makes it worth getting the package 🙂

image.png.83b3c2e3e6c3f9c1472e8b5bf169d662.png

Hi Kiwias

Further to you evaluation of plus package above.
Using your data, I think the below is a better evaluation for you to consider.

image.thumb.jpeg.2fcae2389369719339717a366cec2b3d.jpeg

It will be easier to read if you down load it to read.

Hil & I, are not big alcohol drinkers and often re-evaluate the benefits of the package.
So, from a low-drinkers prospective the above is how I looked at the comparison.
The prices shown are the latest I am aware of, but may not be the current one’s charged.
Others here could probably advise correct cost if mine are out of date.

The dinners and the upmarket desserts did not interest us to any extent, as we found the included meals in the MDR’s were usually very good.

As you quoted $20 dollars per day internet I have assumed you have obtained Platinum Level with Princess.

Hope the above is of some use.

Regards

John

Edited by Ozwoody
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, arxcards said:

Seems strange, no Aussie CDs on P&O, yet they have Aussie CDs here on Carnival.

Savanah Mitchell, who is from Mullumbimby, during a question and answers said Carnival does not employ Australians on their AU based ships. She was employed as she holds dual nationality (New Zealand) and uses this passport to work on the Splendor. She has now left the Splendor as she is engaged to her Trinidad boyfriend, who is applying for AU citizenship.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, woodscruise said:

Savanah Mitchell, who is from Mullumbimby, during a question and answers said Carnival does not employ Australians on their AU based ships. She was employed as she holds dual nationality (New Zealand) and uses this passport to work on the Splendor. She has now left the Splendor as she is engaged to her Trinidad boyfriend, who is applying for AU citizenship.

Savanah was our CD last Boxing Day. Her approach was all Aussie, and I was unaware of her dual nationality. That makes sense of it all.

• Like 2