Fun for 2 & 5 year olds in Juneau, Ketchikan, and Sitka

babytraveler

Does anyone have any suggestions for fun but simple exursions for a 2 year old and 5 year old in Juneau, Ketchikan, and Sitka?

I'm not thrilled with the idea our tour buses without seatbelts to attach car seat, but I might tolerate a slow, short trip on calm roads, if it is something special for children. Things to do within walking distance of docks are especially appreciated.

Floatplanes and helicopters and glacier walks and river rafting seem a little hazardous with 2 young ones, but I don't really know so would appreciate insights of those who have done these excurisons.

Thanks!

I have a few other posts that are longer w/ some more detailed suggestions. But I am by far not an expert of Alaska. Limited time today to respond-- traveled 1st cruise to Alaska last year with 2 year old-he will be 3 this year when we travel again. Current plans:

Ketchikan--mom only to Anan-- Gma & dad will visit Discovery center ( 2year old enjoyed this last year-- very close to the ship), walk around town, possibly DUCK tour

Juneau-- Whale watching, Men Glacier, Salmon Bake

Mendenhall glacier was fun for him last year-- we walked out to the waterfall & closer to the glacier & he had fun splashing & looking in the mini streams along the path-- but he like being outdoors, searching for small cretures & fish in the stream, etc. Salmon Bake was great family atmosphere, mostly just a relaxing few hours, he enjoyed raosting marshmallows, and then we walked up the path to a waterfall & there was a small area that you could pan for gold (mostly panning for sirt-- but nonetheless it was fun for him) & finally Tramway if clear day & enough time.....

I have not been to Sitka--

Completely understand your seatbelt dilemma....a few of the tours we went on last year allowed car seat-- most as you have posted do not have seat belts

Have a great trip! we are going back for 2 weeks this year :)

We are sort of in the same boat, so to speak. With a 4 and 6 yr old. So, after some reseach, we came up with this. The 2 year old may throw a kink in things.. but we know a bunch of trees and snow just won't keep them interested too long. The prices are adults/children

Ketchikan Monday 29th

* 9 am Lumberjack show $30/15 (3 blocks from dock, 60 minutes)

*12 noon Duck tour $35/22 90 minutes

Glass enclosed escalator $ up to totem poles by Creek Street

Juneau Tuesday

Mt Roberts Tram 888-461-8726

Shop, relax

Hope these ideas might help.

The above offer excellent suggestions. Every port has a free walking tour map at the visitor centers. Consider heading to your library and taking out Frommer's Alaska and Fodor's Alaska, each have walking tour maps for you to review perhaps?? If you are interested in flightseeing, then consider spliting up, I'm assuming you are with another adult?? If not, forgive me for the assumption. But with that age, I would not book any tours that are over an hour or no way out, those ages are just unpredictable. :)

Archived