Vatican Tour

Need advice regarding hiring a private tour guide to see The Vatican, St Peter's Basilica and The Sistine chapel. Are we better off to hire a guide at the Vatican or is this doable on your own? Thanks for advice from those who have done both.

Touring the Vatican, St Peter's, Sistine Chapel, etc is certainly doable on your own--however, we hired a private guide for our trip last October and that was well worth the investment. Given the size of the area that you want to cover and the crowds, it can be a little daunting to try to see what you want to on your own. If you have a knowledgeable guide, he or she can really make the visit spectacular for you. Even the forty-five minutes waiting in line to get in simply flew by as we listened to our guide reel off historical, architectural and artistic info that provided great background for the tour. We did pay 300 euros for a group of four for a full day that included the Vatican in the am and then classical Rome (Coloseum, Forum, etc) in the late afternoon--but it was worth every euro.

I have been twice and both were on a tour through a cruise or bus tour company. It was very informative and if I walked through on my own, I don't know if I would have gotten as much out of it. I am not sure if they give you an audio guide or not if you are on your own. This time, we are going to use the tours provided by the Vatican. Below is the link to the Vatican with a fax number at the bottom to sign up for their tour. The cost isn't much more than going on your own.

http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-Info/MV_Info_Servizi_Visite.html

Touring the Vatican, St Peter's, Sistine Chapel, etc is certainly doable on your own--however, we hired a private guide for our trip last October and that was well worth the investment. Given the size of the area that you want to cover and the crowds, it can be a little daunting to try to see what you want to on your own. If you have a knowledgeable guide, he or she can really make the visit spectacular for you. Even the forty-five minutes waiting in line to get in simply flew by as we listened to our guide reel off historical, architectural and artistic info that provided great background for the tour. We did pay 300 euros for a group of four for a full day that included the Vatican in the am and then classical Rome (Coloseum, Forum, etc) in the late afternoon--but it was worth every euro.

Can you tellme who you booked the tour with. We are a group 6 looking to do the same

Bob

Archived