circumnavigating Svalbard

Hazel52

We are new to Atlas. Have always wanted to do a circumnavigation of Svalbard. They only offer one cruise in 2025 that does this (and none in 2026), the rest go up the west coast and back down. Just wondering if anyone knows if it's worth jumping on the one for 2025 (not many cabins left) or would 7 - 9 days exploring the west coast be just as impactful?

Thanks so much!

Deb

Our 11-day circumnavigation of Svalbard on Atlas in August 2023 was fantastic.  We're not sure which we actually preferred - that trip or one to Antarctica earlier in the year.  I'd recommend booking the 11-day cruise if you can.  I did read that in 2024 some of the 9-day itineraries also circumnavigated.  The published itinerary maps for expedition cruises don't always match what actually occurs.

Note:

Norway has put new restrictions in place for Svalbard effective 1/1/25 which significantly reduces the number of sites ships are permitted to visit.  The rules for polar bear watching are also being tightened.  The closure of landing sites is expected to have a significant impact on expedition cruising.

As @Primus said, many of the 9 day cruises in 2024 did circumnavigate Svalbard, e.g. the June 28 and July 7 sailings (despite their brochure "maps" indicating only an up and back), as well as the 11 day July 16 sailing. The July 16 sailing went east of Nordaustland while the other two took the Hinlopen Strait between Spitsbergen and Nordaustland, but all three did a circumnavigation. The July 7 sailing (that I was on) had the same number of polar bear sightings as the 11 day sailing, and in fact went slightly further north (to 80.9 degrees). You can get more info on the July 7 sailing and July 16 sailing on the Cruise Critic threads linked. I have no doubt that an 11 day sailing is about 11/9 times better than a 9 day! Of course any actual route depends on weather, sea conditions, and the new regulations but Svalbard is wonderful.