Extra Day in Anchorage?

rgtkkb

We are starting our cruise in Whittier on May 22, and I am wondering whether to schedule an extra day in Anchorage. Is it worthwhile to rent a car for a day and drive the highway? Are the sights very different from what we would see in the other ports?

Absolutely!

One full day, 2 nights, in Anchorage prior to our Whittier embarkation last June gave us only a taste for more! We're going back this year, for a week on land post-cruise.

Talkeetna, north of Anchorage makes for a nice drive, you can schedule flightseeing of Mt. McKinley from there, all done in one day. Also, you could drive south a ways, toward Seward, and stop at many points of interest. In fact, we took the Alaska Railroad for transfer from Anchorage to Whittier, and wish we could've stopped the train numerous times.

Anchorage itself has many attractions you won't find in the other ports. Definitely worthwhile. Just reading these boards will give you an indication of that!:)

If you do not want to rent a car, I am aware of 2 Bed and Breakfast homes that allow their guests to borrow bicycles to ride the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail. It sounds beautiful. The Oscar Gill House is one and the Anchorage Walkabout is the other. Just do a google search for them. We are going to stay at the Walkabout in mid-May. My guidebook highly recommends the B and B experience in Alaska.

BTW, What ship are you on? We are starting our cruise in Whittier on May 22 also. We are on the Island Princess. I am excited. This our my first, but hopefully not our last trip to Alaska. We booked our B and B in Anchorage yesterday for 3 nights. Then we are going to Seward and back to Whittier.

We were driving throughout Alaska 2 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. The scenic drive from the coasts along Turnagain Arm to Anchorage is beautiful. There are several places along the side of the highway that you can stop and enjoy the scenery. We enjoyed eating fabulous pizza at the Moose's Tooth. I think Anchorage has 2 locations. Also Anchorage has some good scenery along Cook's Inlet.

We are flying into Anchorage on the 16th in the evening. We are leaving to drive down to Seward on the 19th. The Kenai Fjords National Park Tour is highly recommended from Seward. Taking the Alaska Railroad or driving the highway to Seward is also supposed to be very beautiful. The road to Glenallen from Anchorage is also supposed to be beautiful, also. We might drive it on the 17th or 18th. Too many choices. I am probably going to take the Phillips 26 Glacier Tour out of Whittier on the 22nd since our ship does not depart until 9:30 pm. The Glacier tour returns at 5pm. The cruise terminal and the small boat harbor are very close together in Whittier. We have never been to Alaska so I am trying to see everything I can. I won't be able to see too many glaciers or too much Wildlife. If you do book a B and B , email your hosts for ideas.

Seward has some good Glacier and nature tours in the Kenai Penninsula. We particpated with one that included a lunch snack and Salmon Bake on Bear Island. I would recommend it. There is also Exit Glacier nearby that is quite impressive as it is a piedmont glacier. Portage Glacier is also north toward Anchorage and as you travel from Whittier this may be a convenient stop.

to rjtkkb:

See my thread about the Esther passage. It is an interesting possibility for departure day. Also, let me know if you want to talk about other port stops for our cruise. I have found some good independent tours to save money and be with smaller groups.

Archived