Docking in Alexandria Egypt?

JoanieBlon

Do cruise ships actually dock at a pier at the Port of Alexandria Egypt, or are tenders used? We are in the process of booking a private tour from Alexandria to Cairo and Giza (NCL Jewel - October 2006) and would like to know what time to tell the driver and guide to pick us up. For tendering, it's been our experience that the groups booked for shore excursions through the cruise line are off-loaded via tender BEFORE all the others.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

In September of 2004 we sailed on the Royal Princess from Rome to Bangkok. We docked in Alexandria, we did not tender. Many of us on that trip arranged independent tours. Further down on the board is our thread or maybe do a search for Egypt.

We were extremely pleased with what we arranged.

It is a wonderful country.

Enjoy !

Shannon

Hi All,

In September of 2004 we sailed on the Royal Princess from Rome to Bangkok. We docked in Alexandria, we did not tender. Many of us on that trip arranged independent tours. Further down on the board is our thread or maybe do a search for Egypt.

We were extremely pleased with what we arranged.

It is a wonderful country.

Enjoy !

Shannon

Shannon, THANK YOU for the reply about docking in Alexandria! May I pick your brain a little more? It sounds as if you made private arrangements for your Egypt tours. How did you handle getting your Egptian visas? Were they available at the port, or did you get them from the Egyptian Consulate ahead of time? I've seen many references to getting visas at the airport, but none in reference to ports. Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

This is strange, I remember going in to San Francisco to get a visa for India but I do not remember that we had to have one for Egypt. If I were you I would call the cruise line and ask if one is required. Things may have changed since we were there last.

Egypt & (India) (Multi-page thread 1 2 3) This is the thread with all the information about our independent tour process.

Regards,

Shannon

This is strange, I remember going in to San Francisco to get a visa for India but I do not remember that we had to have one for Egypt. If I were you I would call the cruise line and ask if one is required. Things may have changed since we were there last.

Egypt & (India) (Multi-page thread 1 2 3) This is the thread with all the information about our independent tour process.

Regards,

Shannon

Visas ARE required for Egypt, but I have read MANY conflicting reports. NCL says they get a blanket visa but I eant to be able to leave the ship with no problems and get on with the LONG day's tour. Still LOTS of questions unanswered. :confused:

This often happens when ships stop at one port. People come aboard and review everyone's passport, interview some people and clear everyone. Then you are free to go on your tours. I believe this happened with us at many ports. If on the otherhand, you wish to leave the ship for several days (as we did in 2004) do you need a special visa? I don't know the answer to that question.

It is a matter of what is currently required and what you are planning to do. Call NCL and the Egyptian Consulate. If you are only doing tours while in port and getting back on the ship, I bet you don't need an extra visa, however, if you are disembarking for several days and meeting up with the ship later, you may now need a visa. Make the calls or search gov. web sites.

Good luck and have a great time.

Did you look at the thread I bumped up? We had such a wonderful day in Alexandria and then proceeded to Ciaro. Never thought of doing a Nile dinner cruise, but it was fabulous, 75% of guests were local. It really gave us an insight to the culture. We were among the few foreign tourists. It was a wonderful nightcap to a very long and special day. We had a driver and guide during the day before proceeding to Cairo. It was a young Muslim woman, who did a remarkable job.

Good Luck and enjoy your trip.

Regards,

Shannon

visas are issued on arrival. you are free to do as you please. we were on the star princess two years ago and many people went their own way. Though the private tours still use the convoy system.

Archived