Bermuda - St. George Carriage Rides

moinma

I'm sure someone knows the answer to this question....I'm sailing on the Majesty for the 5th time in June. Every time I go, I say that I'm going to take one of those carriage rides that wait outside the ship, and never do. This time I'm really going to do it! Here's my question...can you go out and book a carriage ride yourself or must you book it as a ship excursion? Are they just sitting there waiting for someone to walk up and hop on board? Thanks to anyone who can help!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, C&F...I'm going to try on my own. Do you know how much it is if you deal with the carriages directly? Hard to imagine the ship could charge much more since all you have to do is walk a few feet!

I really don't remember an exact amount, but I believe it was around $20. I believe you can haggle also, depending on who you get. I actually proposed to my wife on a carriage ride in St. George. It was amazing if I do say so myself, LOL. Definitely do it. It really is nice.

Enjoy,

F

We took a carriage ride around St. George last summer. We just walked up to a carriage driver and made the deal ourselves. The going rate is $30 for half an hour ride. You can book longer but I don't remember how much it is. Many years ago we took a carriage ride around Hamilton at night, close to 11 pm I think. You can just ask how late they operate. Evening is nice but you don't get the same views you can get during the day.

Sent: Sunday, April 09, 2006 5:03 PM

To: Marsden@drs-cs.com

Subject: Carrige Ride Rental

Dear Mr. Marsden,

Hi, Maybe this will help. I booked a carraige ride for my parents for 2pm on the day we arrive (May 9th) and also then reserved one for 6pm that same day for my wife and I and our 5 yr old daughter. I beklieve the price was 30.00 for 1/2 hour (we booked and hour for each trip. below is the email I got from the rental in Bermuda feel free to use the info.

To: MarsdenJames @ msn.com

Sent: Sunday, April 09, 2006 5:03 PM

Your email message has been on-passed to my father from Mr. Leroy Tucker. We are located in St.George's where you will be arriving on your cruise. I wanted to see if you were still interested? At the moment our horses are hired out to the cruise ship in St. Georges but if you were interested in arranging something on your own or wanted an evening drive I need to know how many people in total. Also can you confirm the exact date you would be interested in the carriage ride. As mentioned, we are contraced out to the cruise ship via the shipping company and there are many times that we are unable to accommodate last minute rides thus if I know in advance that you wish to arrange a drive we will make an adjustment for you. We would be pleased to do show you the old town of St. George's :)

Thanking you in advance,

Ms. Sean Welch for Mr. Winslow Minors

Hi Ms Welch,

It is so good to hear your reply. I would very much like a rental for both my Parents (2 people) and a separate rental for me and my family. (3 people: 2 adults 1 child) I would like to set up a carriage ride on Tuesday (May 9th) afternoon around 2pm for my Parents (they are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary) I think a nice romantic carriage ride would be nice for them. I’ll get back to you sometime tomorrow and request the ride for my family. I need to discuss the day and time with my wife if that’s all right with you?

Nice to hear from you

Jim Marsden

Mr. Panchee is the Carriage driver in St George’s pier

Archived