Just back from LOS 4/1 - 4/8

I just returned from the LOS and had a fantastic time. There were some disappointments (the DJ in the Viking Crown Lounge being #1), but all in all the ship was great. I can't wait to see your review and see how it compares to my thoughts.

I just returned from the LOS and had a fantastic time. There were some disappointments (the DJ in the Viking Crown Lounge being #1), but all in all the ship was great. I can't wait to see your review and see how it compares to my thoughts.

Was it the dj from Brooklyn? He played ALL hip hop when we were on it (in the wee hours) so we people watched and didnt dance..not our music.

It was DJ James from Manhatthan. He was telling me about how he can't find a DJ job in NY. As a DJ myself, I can see why. Being a younger group, we were in the Viking Crown every night. It is safe to say that we heard 85% of the same songs every night. The night of the Disco party we had a grat time dancing to the Village people and the like in the Anchors Aweigh Lounge. However, when we got up to the Viking Crown, we were greeted with 2 hours of the same songs. I think everyone knows the quickest way to fill the dancefloor is to get a couple good looking girls to start. We had several very good looking girls that wanted to dance but he would not take their requests. Instead he played some old school Bronx rap that a couple guys requested. He was HORRIBLE. I have been asked about DJing for RCCL and after listening to and meeting James I was severely disappointed.

It was DJ James from Manhatthan. He was telling me about how he can't find a DJ job in NY. As a DJ myself, I can see why. Being a younger group, we were in the Viking Crown every night. It is safe to say that we heard 85% of the same songs every night. The night of the Disco party we had a grat time dancing to the Village people and the like in the Anchors Aweigh Lounge. However, when we got up to the Viking Crown, we were greeted with 2 hours of the same songs. I think everyone knows the quickest way to fill the dancefloor is to get a couple good looking girls to start. We had several very good looking girls that wanted to dance but he would not take their requests. Instead he played some old school Bronx rap that a couple guys requested. He was HORRIBLE. I have been asked about DJing for RCCL and after listening to and meeting James I was severely disappointed.

We had the same guy as you. We did hear some of the same songs every night, but they had a phone at the bar by his booth and people were CONSTANTLY requesting songs and they got played. They did play some older 80s rap that I was surprised to hear...but still not our thing. There was this one song he played every night that annoyed me to pieces. It was a techno remix of a great Steve Windwood song. Drove me nuts that it was remade that way. The college crowd seemed to be crazy lovin it though whenever they played that song. I hope there is a better MIX of songs in the all night disco on my Mariner and Sovereign cruises.

That's interesting. I was with the college crowd and we all hated him. We danced and had a great time, but it was not because of him. It was because of the cardinal truth of cruising: A cruise is what you make of it.

I guess each crowd is different. I had SOO MANY college kids on my ship too. A full sorority from Emory and tons from University of Louiville, Clemson, and the list goes on and on.

There were also many from Canada that were on board, and they were REALLY into the music. I totally think he played what the crowd wanted to hear. Not what I wanted to hear...but majority rules I guess. Maybe it was the alcohol causing them to love all the songs, I dunno :)

Archived