Recent San Juan returnees?

clingandclatter

I'm going to be in San Juan this coming weekend beginning 4/13 and am not thrilled with the current weather forecast. I've been checking the daily weather for the past two weeks or so and it's pretty much been the same, alternating between scattered showers & showers, with anywhere from 30%-60% chance of precipitation. I'm curious to know from people who have recently returned how the weather has compared to the forecast. Is the rain forecast for Puerto Rico similar to that of Florida where you'll maybe get an afternoon shower for like 1/2 hour and then it blows out? I don't want this weekend to be a total washout! :(

We had passing clouds and highs in the high 70s along with BRIEF light rain. I live in FLorida and the weather was very much like it is here. I would not worry too much unless they forecast stationary thunderstorms. Usually any rain is over in a 1/2 hr or less like you said.

I used to live in the San Juan area. I now live in the New Orleans area. April is a transition month from the dry season (typically mid-Jan to the end of March) to the more humid and hence, rainier summer months. Outside of the summer tropical activity (mostly tropical waves every 3 - 4 days), the rainiest months are May, November, and December.

Note: If you're going to El Yunque, you'll almost certainly experience a shower. The only time it doesn't rain is.... well, maybe a few days during the dry season, but even then.... pack the ponchos... just in case.

In April we typically saw early morning showers (1/2 hour or so)... These are when you can get some spectacular rainbows. I have seen double horizon-to-horizon rainbows on two different occasions.... Gorgeous!!! I wouldn't sweat the showers in April. However, the one thing I always had to remind myself was that I lived there. If it rained hard one day, there was always tomorrow or the day after. For tourists that's not always true. They may be going home tomorrow!!!

In any case... enjoy San Juan. Let us know how the weather turns out!!!

Dave

:) :) :)

thanks for the info! Leaving tomorrow so keep all your fingers crossed!

Checking the forecast though, it has improved somewhat from the beginning of the week. Now at least for most of the days we'll be there, the chance of rain has dropped to 30% from 60%. Who knows what it will all mean in the end - hopefully some FUN!!! :)

Last month we stayed 5 days in San Juan. The temperature was hot, there were always clouds and had some rain. Before this trip at home I was really concerned about the weather, but when I was there it didnt' bother me too much. San Juan is a beautiful little city, beaches in PR are great and El Yenque was fabulous...with and without clouds and rain. PR Is very lush, so there is a always a chance to have rain during your stay.

We were in San Juan last week. :D We did have rain, but it didn't last long. It was cloudy and quite windy, but as it was nice a warm, it wasn't a problem.

We loved exploring El Morro and Old San Juan. If you go to El Convento, do go inside and have a look, it is beautiful, especially the courtyard.

Have a fantastic time!

Martin and Lindsay: I saw you are back....I remember you from earlier post regarding El Convento. We stayed there in Nov. for 2 nights precruise. We loved it too.... so much history and right in the heart of everything.

We had planned a whole day at El Yunque the day we were to leave on Serenade of the Seas.... but that morning although it was only cloudy in San Juan - our concierge told us that they were having some bad storms in the mountains.... and it would be better for us to wait until 1 or 2 o'clock before driving up there. We could not, so unfortunatley we will have to go on our next trip to Puerto Rico (which there WILL be).

So just be aware the weather can "bend" your plans - go with the flow

We certainly hope to return to Puerto Rico one day. We loved it, and there is so much to do there. I think the perfect holiday would be to stay at El Convento for 2 or 3 nights to explore Old San Juan and the forts, enjoying the night life there. Then to stay at the Hyatt Dorado Beach Resort for another week to 10 days and relax in the beautiful surroundings, and have some days/evenings out exploring the Bioluminescent Tour, Aricebo Observatory and El Yunque. One can dream! :rolleyes:

Martin and Lindsey,

I agree with you about that being an idyllic holiday EXCEPT... the Hyatt Dorado Beach is closing at the end of May 2006. Really sad. I stayed there several times and thoroughly enjoyed the tranquility and the lush grounds. I'm really sorry to see them close the hotel.

Dave

So I'm baaaaack and the weather was pretty good. It rained for maybe 2-3 hours on Friday afternoon and a really short misty rain early Sunday morning, but otherwise it was very nice. We even went up to El Yunque and it didn't rain at all there (which I was surprised about). And on Friday right before it started raining and before the clouds took over, we saw a rainbow completely encircle the sun. It was totally wild. So yay, thanks for the weather info everyone!

Martin and Lindsey,

I don't know why they're closing the hotel. I loved the setting... so tranquil and idyllic. Unfortunately, its sister hotel, the Hyatt Cerromar Beach closed in the summer of 2003. I have not heard what became of that. I stayed there the week before they announced the closure.

Here's what I personally know of the history of the hotels. When my wife and I moved there in 1984, we llived in Dorado (closest town... about 2 miles away). Hyatt bought the properties in 1986 and built the "River Pool" at the Cerromar. We joined the golf and tennis club at the Cerromar and enjoyed all the facilities for a couple of years. Hyatt did not spend a lot of money other than on the River Pool back then to upgrade any of the facilities. On the other hand they were in pretty good shape back then.

I spent 8 months in Puerto Rico on business in 2003 and stayed at both the Cerromar and Dorado Beach hotels on a few occasions. Both hotels were noticeably "worn". It didn't appear that Hyatt had made any improvements to the Cerromar since 1986. They were still using the old air conditioners in the room with archaic controls. I can't describe it, but I remember they were the same. However, Hyatt was spending some big bucks to upgrade the golf facilities at the Cerromar and add some new housing (million dollar homes) on their property. They had also added another building to the left of the Cerromar hotel that is a Hyatt Vacation properties (I'm not sure of the exact name). That vacation property as well as the River Pool and the golf courses will continue to operate (at least for now). Oh, the other odd thing was that they were actively building a "Johnny Rockets" restaurant on the first floor of the Cerromar hotel by the River Pool mid 2003. It was only a couple of weeks from completion when they announced the Cerromar was closing. I never found out if Jophnny Rockets ever opened.

I think Hyatt made money early on, but did not reinvest in the properties and let them go downhill to the point that they were losing too much money. Oh... and one rumor I heard... was that the staff unions had too much power and pretty much bled the hotels dry (I'm not sure how...and like I said... it was a rumor I heard).

I have not heard what will become of the two hotels there. You can go to the Hyatt web site and search for their properties in Puerto Rico. It'll give you the closing date. :(

Dave

Archived