The Embarkation Experience -- First Time Cruiser Question

My DH and I are on AOS out of San Juan departing June 11.

Could someone post a "narrative" of what it's like from getting off the plane at the airport, picking up your luggage, taking the taxi (or RCCI transfer?) to the pier, getting from the taxi to the -- actually, I don't even know where you go next. Is there a building where you check in your baggage and stuff?

My only image for this process is the movies where people jump out of a cab and run up a gangway! I have a feeling that's not it. :)

Any tips on making the whole process smoother would be much appreciated. Our plane is scheduled to land at 3:00 pm on departure day at San Juan International.

It's been years since we sailed out of San Juan, but it was a very pleasant experience as I remember. There are actually stores right inside the terminal to pick up anything you may have forgotten, or booze, cigarettes, soft drinks, etc. We always take a cab from the airport to the pier, as the RCI transfers involve buses on which you may be waiting for a very long time for it to fill up. Also, you'll be arriving at the pier by yourselves instead with a whole busload of people to check in. The cab will drop you where you need to turn over your luggage to the pier personel. Then on into the building, check in and onto the ship! You're about to experience paradise on earth. Have fun!:D

Well we stayed 3 days/2 nights precruise but basic process is still the same just omit the hotel stay :D

When we got off the plane in San Juan we went straight to the baggage pickup and it came pretty fast.... but remember it's the islands and things move slower there.... which is ok cuz you are on vacation !! TIP #1 keep your baggage stubs as they do check to make sure you have your bags as you are leaving. I like this as it provides security in that no one else will walk out with your bags !

We took a taxi (have heard the shuttle waits until it is full and that could take a while). There are signs to the taxi "area" and since the rates are regulated by the govt. you will see a little "taxi stand" (sometimes with a line - only 2 people in front of us). They will ask you where you need to go and based on that will give you a 2 part ticket with the rate on it..... you give one part to the driver and one part is your receipt. Extra luggage costs extra (don't know how much - but it is not much).

They will take you right to the pier/terminal. You will probably leave from Pan Am pier which is around the harbor from Old San Juan kinda all by itself..... here is pic to get your bearings www.langland.org/cruises/sanjuan.asp After you get out of the cab there is a line for the porters outside ..... they will take your checked bags before you even get inside.... then once inside you go thru some security areas....have your passport (id) handy and then look for the sign for the line for those with SETSAIL PASSES !!! Be sure to print yours out online as this makes the whole process much smoother and faster.....then you just check in with the represenative - they give you your SeaPass (this looks like a credit card and has your info on it) which you will use for your room key, to purchase sodas - drinks - or anything else on the ship (only cash needed is for room service tips). Right before you get on they will take your seapass and put in a little machine and ask you to smile - so they can take your picture and put into computer with that seapass... when you get on and off the ship it is so they know it is you .... then you go up an escalator ..... have your picture taken on the gangplank and get on.......

any other questions ?

We stayed a few days pre-cruise in San Juan, so were not running for the ship on the day of departure!

As a first time cruiser, my advice to you is to take it all in! Our first cruise out of Miami last year was completely overwhelming ( in a good sense!) I was in total awe of the ship, the terminal, the process, walking onboard and everything else that went along with embarking for the very first time.

The AOS doesn't sail until 10pm so you have a lot of time to get to the port even if you arrive the same day. If you get there early, you will have the opportunity to explore the ship before you leave dock - check things out, see where everything is, and of course have a bite to eat in the Windjammer ;)

I will always remember seeing the ship up close for the very first time - my excitement was like that of a kid in a candy store.....enjoy! :D

Merely as an extention to texancruzin's message, the actual "sailaway" is really sumpthin to see & experience.

My first experience was the sound of the ship starting it's engines and seeing the dark smoke coming out the exhaust stacks above the top deck. Then beginning to pull away from the pier & seeing the Aloha Tower glide past & the lights of Honolulu coming on (we left at about 7 p.m.), as the ship got out into the shipping channel.

It's really quite an experience which will be repeated each time you go on a cruise, but there's nothing like that first time.

Also take a powerstrip with you. The electrical outlets are few & not always located where it's most convenient to you. Plus bring along a large plastic tumbler for iced tea/lemonade (free) during the day. Yes, the ship does provide glasses for that but they aren't very big; you'd spend more time getting refills than enjoying the cruise.

I don't think anyone mentioned this, so I will. When you get to the pier make sure you TIP the porters. We give 5$ for 2 large bags. Have some change right in your pocket because from cab to luggage being wheeled away for 9 of us was about 3 minutes.

Sue

Archived