4 Days in Oahu, a pre-cruise review

bambam

[FONT=Arial Black]This was posted prior to the CC Boards changing, and I didn't want the memories to get lost in the shuffle.[/FONT]

This is a short (??) review of some of the things we did during our 4-days on Oahu, prior to boarding the NCL Star on 02/15/04. I want to say up-front that our stay would in no-way have been as complete and as enjoyable if it wasn’t for the incredible assistance from Spleen, SueBee and SweetEmi. A big-time Mahalo for the local assistance!!

Wednesday, 02/11: we arrived in Honolulu (1:00pm) to a lei-greeting that I had arranged on the internet for $50 (total for 2). Was it worth it – the smile on Pebble’s face was…priceless. We took a cab from the airport to the Hilton Hawaiian Village (HHV), about $25 for 2, and spent a couple of hours on Waikiki. At 4:00ish, I left to get our Alamo Rental car at the Illikai (next to HHV), which I rented using the 6T code (Spleen – they tried to give me the 9K rate, but I declined – much to their surprise…). At 5:30, we went to Magic Island (near the Ala Moana Shopping Center) where we walked around for a few minutes. See folks, Pebbles didn’t know that I had also arranged on-line for a minister and photographer to meet us there so we could renew our vows (20th anniversary). I dropped to my knees, and on-cue, Reverend Kermit and the photographer stepped in. A few minutes later, the sun set (about 6:20ish) and we had exchanged a most beautiful set of vows written by Rev. Kermit. Folks might ask – Why Magic Island?? We got some great pictures of the sunset, sailboats, Waikiki and Diamondhead. Was is crowed with walkers/joggers – yes, but we didn’t notice, and not one picture showed people in the background – we had a great photographer!! Afterwards, I followed the advice received on this board to go to the Pineapple Room Restaurant on the 3rd floor in Macy’s in the Ala Moana Shopping Center. Folks – it was the best meal and service we had in the two-weeks we were on travel/vacation, even exceeding some really good meals and service we got on the Star. Pebbles went NUTS over the Mahi-Mahi fish (think Meg Ryan in Harry Met Sally ), and we had a bus boy to kill for – I’d drink my soda about half-way and, walla, a fresh soda was there instantly….as close to perfect service we have ever received. I had their version of ribs (in a pineapple-barbeque sauce). All I can say is Alan Wong must be some kind of chef, cause his crew at the Pineapple Room is tops on our list!!

Thursday, I had to work, got back to the HHV around 5:00ish, and we decided to follow the CC suggestion to go to Dukes at the Outrigger Hotel – it was a much further walk from the HHV than we anticipated, but very enjoyable watching the sunset again. We got to Dukes about 7:00 and had a 45 minute-plus wait. Plan B: We walked through the Outrigger out to the street to find – the International Marketplace across the street. So we went shopping. As previously suggested on CC, we shopped around, bartered, walked away, etc.., and got a pair of black-pearl/ diamond earrings, listed for $850, for $130. The same earrings at the Maui-Divers Jewelry Store in the HHV were selling for $1299. On the walk back to the HHV, we stopped at the Cheesecake Factory and got dessert to-go.

Friday, I got back around 4:00 and spent some time on Waikiki. We hung-around for the HHV Show at 6:30pm, fireworks were around 7:30pm – and they were really nice – since Saturday was Feb. 14th, several of the fireworks exploded into red-shaped hearts. We decided to eat at a steak and lobster place in the HHV – BIG mistake!! Started at 8:00, got back to the room at 10:30 – lets just say we paid for the convenience – we certainly didn’t get good service nor was the meal anything to remember.

Saturday, my first off-day, we started at Diamondhead at 8:00am, did the switch-back climb and up the 99 stairs to the first tunnel – and had to go back…. Pebbles is claustrophobic, and even though they have installed low-voltage lights in the tunnel – there wasn’t enough for her – and there is a curve in the tunnel so she couldn’t see the light at the end – so we went back-down. A disappointment, for sure, but we got some good pictures on the way up. Then we left for Kapolei, where I had heard from one of the locals was a resort (Radisson??) with several beach/lagoons that were fairly decent for snorkeling. There are 4 lagoon areas there, open to the public. We found parking in Lagoon 4, the beach was clean, had restrooms, and the snorkeling was good. The shoreline scene with rocks, waves and distant hotels was well worth the roll of film I took. After an hour or so, we left for the North Shore via H2 to go to Sunset Beach and the “Pipeline.” Folks, TV doesn’t do this beach justice. The waves (winter season) were incredible, the surfers were nothing but small dots – but the most noticeable factor was the sound of the waves crashing – this is what TV doesn’t pick-up. Truly an amazing place that really earns your respect for the surfers….not in my lifetime…. Then we went to the Polynesian Culture Center, arriving at 1:30ish. We saw 4 of the 7 villages, the boat show, the luau and the main stage show. I can’t say enough about how great it was, how much we learned about the different cultures, and how nice the people were. Definitely well worth the price.

Sunday, before we boarded the Star, we decided to check-out early, 9:00am, and left for Kailua on the windward side (LikeLike Highway to the end…)– to go to Lanakai Beach (Travel Channel said it is #1 in Hawaii). In a word – WOW!! The ultimate beach – white sand, clean, not crowded, trees, and the two islands just off-shore. The sand is like walking on crushed-velvet, absolutely the softest sand we have ever walked on. We left at 12:30pm for the Star, looking for a house to buy on the way out….

Spleen, SueBee and SweetEmi – MAHALO for sharing your treasure!!!

What a wonderful review. How did you find the reverand to do the ceremony? We are doing 2 post days and I was just looking into the luau at the cultural village. You made my decision for me!! Thank you very much. I was looking into renewing vows since it will be our 30 th anniversary and would really like to do something special. Can you give me more information on that? Thanks Jane

Other folks asked about Rev. Kermit, and this is a paste of one of my earlier answers:

You're toughest decision will be where to have the renewal - there are so many choices in Oahu. I orginally thought HHV's lagoon would be nice, but Rev. Kermit suggested Magic Island - and I am very glad he did. Sure, there are more romantic spots and there were a few people walking around, but we were far enough off the paved walkways that we didn't even notice them. The backdrop of Waikiki and Diamondhead, combined with a sunset on the other side of Magic Island - made for some really great views and photos.

I give Rev. Kermit my 100% endorsement, he is honest, sincere and made our vow-renewal a lasting memory. My grandfather was a Methodist Minister, so I do have someone to compare him to, and Rev. Kermit is the real-deal, worth every penny!! :D

You can find him at [url]www.beachwed.com[/url].

We took the photographer option (with film) and he was just as good - if you want, I can look up his name so you can ask for him. There wasn't a bad shot in the bunch, and the sunset photos were great - send me your email address and I'll send you a couple. He even gave us some info - he is a surfer and told us exactly where to go to find the "Pipeline." He also suggested a restaurant on the top of the Illikai Hotel (next to the HHV), but we didn't make it there.

Hope this helps...

bambam

Archived