Montego Bay - YS Falls & Tubing or YS Falls & Black River Safari or Sunset Beach?

Cinderelli

Hi!

Here's my situation: Family of 4 -- me & hubby -- no daredevils by any means (HATED Dunn's River Falls -- so dangerous!), plus 2 kids -- 14 YO boy and 10 YO girl. Going to Jamaica on the Carnival Conquest on 8/29.

Have narrowed down our choices to:

YS Falls & Black River Safari Tour

or

YS Falls & River Tubing

or

a day at Sunset Resort Beach

My kids are athletic, yet we are NOT, so we want to keep both groups happy.

What would you do? Any experiences?

Thanks!:p

I would base my decision on 3 things. Distance, cost, and how much time each tour will take up. We had thought about the Martha Brae rafting tour but found out it is a 2-3 drive. We don't want to spend our few valuable hours stuck in some tour bus. We also found out the all inclusive at Miskito Cove beach was a 1-2 hour drive so that was out too. In fact a lot of the tours take you far inland and you spend most of your tour in a bus. Some tours aren't that far and those are the ones I would choose. Unfortunately, the tours we were interested in were too far away. That's why we decided we would probably hit Sunset Beach Resort. You can see it from the ship.

What I would do if I were you is find out how far you'll be driving to get to these tours. If some of them are a pretty good distance away I would suggest eliminating them. You don't want to spend a good deal of your precious time stuck in a taxi or bus. Especially with two youngsters along. I know some people will fuss and say the ride through the country side is a good cultural experience. In fact I have read reviews where some people enjoyed their 2 hour drive and people watched. I am not one of those people. I want to get out there and enjoy Jamaica. And I don't think any of those people were closed up in a vehicle with 2 young children along either.

Another thing I would keep in mind is how much time this tour will take up. Is it taking up most of your time while in Montego Bay? Or do you have plenty of free time afterwards to shop and eat? I would also use cost as a factor too. If one tour is shorter, gives you plenty of free time and costs less, I would choose it. I have used these guide lines to help me decide on what to do while in Montego Bay. It has been very helpful. I hope you find these suggestions useful. I haven't been there yet, so I can't give you a personal recommendation. I hope this helps.

QT gave you some great advice. A big factor, I think, is the time spent in a car/van. If you're interested in the YS Falls, I'd contact Belinda at A-Z Jamaica tours. From what I know, YS Falls is less strenuous than Dunns and Mayfield Falls and the float/tube trip should be easy for everyone to do. Personally, I'd do the tubing over over the river Safari. But, that's just my opinion. Otherwise, Sunset Beach would be a good option.

I woudl definately do the Falls with the safari. The falls are my favorite in jamaica...not some tourist trap. They are gorgeous, but not that high. There is a really nice spot where parents can swim while jids can play tarzan on a swinging rope. The safari is a very relaxing trip down the river, while the kids will be excited to see the crocodiles (which are actually very docile...).

Only thing is factoring in the drive. It's a littel lengthy, but you should make it there and back fine...

• 3 weeks later...

We loved the Black River Safari, but the ride was horrible. It was 2 hours. But it was so cool. The gators are named and they call them like we call dogs, and they came... they know their names!! They also ate out of the guides hands!

Just visited YS falls and did tubing on 7/14 via A-Z Jamaica Planners. First hint: don't wait outside of terminal to hook up with A-Z. They were waiting inside. Georjeen was our guide and Doc was our driver. Only three families (10 people total) in our group. Immediately boarded our bus and were off. Glad we booked a tour and left the driving to them. Doc was masterful in his use of the horn and every inch of road to avoid pedestrians, potholes, semis, dump trucks, crazy drivers passing with very little room, etc. Drive was interesting to see the isalnd and people, but was loooooong -- at least 90 minutes. Our fault for not asking that question before booking (we booked late). Georjeen added commentary and answered questions during the drive. When my 9YO son asked about local currency, Georjeen graciously dug some Jamaican coins out of her purse and provided a few as souvenirs to my son and two other boys. Very nice.

Arrived at entrance to YS Falls. Goerjeen walked us through the entry and we immediately boarded a jitney (tractor plus trailor) for a short and beautiful drive back to the falls. The owner has built boardwalks and steps to and up the falls on the side. Several spots for pictures. Near the top is the rope swing. Four or five locals there to help us climb the rope high enough to swing out over the natural pool and drop. Big fun for me, my 15YO and 9YO sons. Did this several times each. Tipped the locals. A nearby sign said tipping was at your discretion and to notify mgmt if any employees solicited tips. None of them did.

Walked back down to man-made pool (fed by falls waters) area and start of tubing. Had to sign waiver for tubing. Everyone had to wear lifevests. Four or five more locals helped us board the individual tubes. Some trepidation here as I struggled to control my tube with a paddle wondering how my 9YO son and wife were going to do. All of us were fine. Yes, we bumped into trees, roots, etc, but the guides hustled around redirecting us and keeping us moving (they were in tubes too). Went down a few tiny "rapids." Guides would tell us/push us to get left or right to take the proper path through these rapids. Near the end, the skies opened up with heavy rain, which added a surreal texture to the experience -- floating down a small river in Jamaica in the middle of a cloudburst. Great fun. Rode the jitney back to the start of the tubing. Georjeen had stayed at the shelter with our bags/cameras, etc (don't forget an underwater camera to take on the tube ride). Waited out what was now a thunderstorm and then rode the jitney back to the entrance. Decided to have lunch and the small kitchen on the premises (try "Ting" -- a Jamiacan soda similar to Sprite or Slice). Changed into some dry shirts and boarded the bus to ride back to Montego Bay.

All in all, a unique day we will remember for a long time.

• 2 weeks later...

How much was the cost of your tour? and would you say the tubing was gentle enough for somwone with a bum knee (one of my knees has limited range of motion and I can only bend 90 degrees max). . .do you have to sit indian style in the tube?" I have a family of six and this sound perfect for my family.

Archived