Costa Maya versus Cozumel

habby

Trying to decide on the Victory or Triumph for next spring. Itineraries are the same except Victory does Costa Maya and Triumph does Cozumel. Longer island time on Cozumel.

Suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Not to state the obvious, but I think it depends a lot on what you'd like to do. I really enjoy Cozumel, and heaven knows they can use all the tourists they can get. But, I have to say, our day in Costa Maya, going to Chacchoben with David and Ivan, and then hanging out on the beach in Majahual was truly awesome!

Whatever you decide, enjoy!

Thanks. I figured before we get too in depth with research, I'd see what kinds of responses I'd get from people who've been there. We're pretty flexible in what we'd do. I know there are some places better for touring because of a lack of beaches. Just looking for some info to build on.

Look at different things to do in each .... decide what you would like to do and go from there....

Remember Cozumel is still damaged from the hurricane ... Costa Maya wasn't hit as hard and doesn't have damage.....

Both have shopping right in the port area.... Cozumel is an actually city ... Costa Maya is only a port area but it does have a swimming pool with a swim up bar and restaurants, shops and shows and you can always take a taxi to Majahual and go to the beach ... it is beautiful.....

If you would like pictures of Costa Maya (Majahual and Uvero Beach) or Cozumel (I have pictures of the damage and pictures of Paradise Beach)....email me at walkswife@yahoo.com

Was supposed to go to Cozumel went to Costa Maya, thought it was a bad trade off. Was in Costa Maya Wednesday; had one of the best days on vacation ever.

So, what made it so great? Did you do an excursion, or was it just "something special"? (I have that "special" feeling about Barbados)

If you choose Costa Maya, do plan on getting out of the most contrived and phony Mexican experience I've seen. The port area should only be a stepping off point. Note: You will not find Costa Maya on any maps.

So, what made it so great? Did you do an excursion, or was it just "something special"? (I have that "special" feeling about Barbados)

We wen with a group and pretty much rented the entire beach in front of the Cats Meow in Mahuahual. Great drinks and food. Got massages; swam some and rented jet skis. Definitely did not want to leave.

We wen with a group and pretty much rented the entire beach in front of the Cats Meow in Mahuahual. Great drinks and food. Got massages; swam some and rented jet skis. Definitely did not want to leave.

Just turned "show signatures" back on. Congrats on the wedding!!

Habby,

Definitely some good advise so far.

Personally, I have been to Coz about a dozen times, and I LOVE the island, the people, the beaches, and everything about it.

But last March, I went to Costa Maya for the first time, and absolutely had a BLAST!! There's just something about seeing a new place for the first time. (it's kinda like that feeling you got when you went on your first cruise:-)

I took the advise of several posters on this board, and went to the small fishing village of Mhahul.

Mahahul is unlike any other port you'll see while on a cruise. It's very undeveloped, rustic, and gives you that "true" mexico feeling.

The entire town of Mahahul is only about 8 blocks long, has one main road running through it (a dirt road with ropes for speed bumps) is lined with beach on one side, and stores & restaurants on the other. The beach has several palapa-style bar/reataurants most of which will provide you with a lounge chair (sunbed) if you buy your food & drinks from them. The water in Costa Maya is that beautiful Caribbean tourquiose color, is very clear, and is great for swiming. There are beach massages available, strolling mariachi bands, and shopping just a few steps away across the street. Ithought the lunches & drinks were very reasonably priced, and you can barter with the local merchants for anything you want to purchase.

I did reserve some time to stop by the freshwater pool at the port just to float around for a bit (and swim up for a margarita) before getting back on board the Miracle, and also enjoyed that.

Bottom line . . . decide what's most important to you on this cruise. Cozumel offers great shopping, beautiful beaches, wonderful resaurants, a GREAT mini golf, amoung many other attractions, but you may still see some damage from Wilma. (although from what I've read recently, they seem to have things pretty well cleaned up)

Costa Maya may be a new port for you to explore & create some new memories. (If you do a search on webshots you'll find a lot of pictures of Mahahual (the small fishing village) there.

Which ever you decide . . . Enjoy! and be sure to post a review on the CC board when you return.

Annie

Habby,

Both were great for us. Costa Maya is more laid back and undeveloped which can be a good thing. Also check out going through the hole in the fence to the resort to the right of the pier. The snorkeling was not as great as Cozumel because of a lot of sea grass and silt.

Dave

Wow!! Lots to think about. Thanks to everyone. I'll be printing this so that we can discuss with DB and SIL. Costa Maya is sounding pretty good right now though.

I would look carefully into the 2 options. We were on the Valor on 4/16 and despite beautiful weather we did not stop at Costa Maya because of "swells". I personally didn't feel any rocking on the ship. We were told by our wait staff that in the last 6 trips to Western they had only stopped at Costa Maya once. I was disappointed to say the least. So maybe it has to do with the spring season, maybe it was a fluke, but if you have a better chance of docking at Cozumel I would take that option rather than an extra sea day.

Karen

• 3 weeks later...

We were at Costa Maya on 5/23/06 and at Cozumel a year and a half ago. We had a fabulous time in Cozumel snorkling with Eagle Ray divers. But this was before the hurricane and things may have changed. At that time the snorkling was terrific. We loved Costa Maya as well for different reasons. We went to the fishing village of Mahahual and relaxed and played at the beach. It was so beautiful. We shopped and my girls had their hair braided. We ate lunch on a table in the ocean. See my review for 5/23/06. Both were wonderful days but are very different. Cozumel is very built up and and Costa Maya is not.

Archived