Question about Speightstown

GummyBear

My wife and I will be visting Barbados on the Golden Princess in September. We really don't care to do any shore excursions on Barbados and thought it might be fun to explore the island on our own.After reading a post on the old board, I thought we could take a bus up to Speightstown and go on the Arbib Nature & Heritage Trail and then stop at Mullins Beach on the way back to the ship. Anybody have any thoughts?

My wife and I will be visting Barbados on the Golden Princess in September. We really don't care to do any shore excursions on Barbados and thought it might be fun to explore the island on our own.After reading a post on the old board, I thought we could take a bus up to Speightstown and go on the Arbib Nature & Heritage Trail and then stop at Mullins Beach on the way back to the ship. Anybody have any thoughts?

Now that would be a nice, inexpensive day that one would see more than the average tourist.

The ANHT has two walks, I believe, one about 3.5 miles and the other about 5.5 miles. Both begin and end in Speightstown. I don't remember the cost as it's been a few years since we've did it. Ask anyone in town where it starts and they'll tell you. Very easy deal. They do have fixed starting times as I remember, so you'd better check that out.

Catch the bus or shuttle north (ask at the guard house where to catch it). They run every 1/2 hour and are US$.75 each. The shuttle is one dollar, I believe. It's about a 15-20 minute ride up to Speightstown. Catch one going back south when you're ready to go to the beach and another back to the terminal. You will have spent US$2.25 (or US$3.00 for the shuttle) per person for all your travels.

Have a wonderful time on the island! :)

Below is the start and finish of the hike. St. Peter Parish Church.

If you migrate toward it's high tower (the highest in town), you'll be very near the start of the walk (large square building in the center of the picture).

speighstown.jpg

I've read many of your posts and have come to respect your opinion. Do you feel that the Heritage Trail will be worth the investment in time? Is the trip up the coast farliy scenic?

Thanks,

Bernie

“I've read many of your posts and have come to respect your opinion. Do you feel that the Heritage Trail will be worth the investment in time? Is the trip up the coast farliy scenic?”

Thank you for the kind words.

My feeling is that the Heritage trail is something to be done when a person spends a week on the island.

It is rich in history, but can get boring after a few hours.

Is the trip from B-town to S-town scenic? Actually, not really. It’s pretty much the same all the way. You can see the ocean most of the time and lots of traffic and buildings and hotels and stores.

Now, if you REALLY want to see some beautiful country and have an adventure, take the bus to the East Coast.

I’d go to Bathsheba and walk south. (If you're hungry or thirsty. Right there in Bath is the Atlantis Hotel that has a fantastic (and cheap) brunch). Continue walking and you will go by Andromeda Gardens in about ¾ mile. A nice, relaxing stop. Another 3 miles SE will take you to St. John’s Parish Church. Worth the visit. Here you can catch a taxi back to the West Coast for perhaps $US15-18 for up to four in the cab. The East Coast is safe, not to worry about thugs.

Have him drop you off at Payne’s, Mullins or Folkstown and spend a little time on the beach. From there, it’s an easy US.75 bus ride back to the ship in 15-20 minutes.

Our East Coast is breathtaking. You will not regret it. I promise.

Let me know your thoughts and maybe we can fine-tune it a little. :)

East coast sound like the way to go. I would also like to see some of the interior. My wife is not as adventerous as I am and would probably feel more confortable on a tour. Any recommendations?

I have little direct, current experience with the various tours anymore, but our guests and friends report back their experiences to us.

I've heard three good reports about Island Safari. They have a number of tours and most go to the East coast. Prices are reasonable (actually less than a cab) and you get to see some special stuff.

Find their site HERE.

There are many others and perhaps a kind soul will come forth and advise their experience with them.

I think your choice of a tour is a wise one.

Again, Have a wonderful time! :)

Mr. Barbados...

Thank you. I have actully been to the web site and was considering the Adventure Safari. I think now I'm sold on the idea.

Look for me on Sept 21st. I'll be the one in the tacky tourist shirt :p

Bernie

Archived