Catano area

canalwen

Does anyone know if there are any hotels in the Catano area? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Cataño is an industrial area. I know there is a small inn of some kind in Levittown, Toa Baja (which is near Cataño), but I've never seen it myself or known anyone who's stayed there. Wait, I actually found its webpage http://campomarhotelyrestaurant.com/index.html

Is there a reason you want to stay in Cataño? It's by no means an attractive area for tourism, except for the Bacardi distillery.

HTH!

Thanks for the replies. We are only going to be there for 1 night pre cruise, and wanted to see if we could fit in a trip to Arecibo. We thought that perhaps if there was a hotel in Catano, we would spend the night there and take the ferry across to Old San Juan in the morning. Guess we have to rethink that now.

Thanks again, all info is appreciated.:) :)

In that case... depending on your arrival time you may be able to swing it. Arecibo is just an hour, maybe a bit more, west of SJ -- although it's probably closer to 2 hours in PM rush hour traffic. If you get to PR fairly early, you could drive to Arecibo, stay at El Buen Cafe (www.elbuencafe.com) It's technically in Hatillo, but really it's just outside of Arecibo. Then you could drive back the next day. Your ship will probably leave late at night, so you would be able to drive back comfortably. Cataño really wouldn't have put you much closer to Arecibo, anyway.

El Buen Cafe is a very plain, basic hotel, but I've stayed there for business things a few times and it's clean and friendly. It's right on Rd. #2, very convenient, and has a decent restaurant.

Canalwen,

If you want to stay "west" of San Juan toward Arecibo, I recommend the Embassy Suites in Dorado. It's a typical Embassy Suites hotel except the rooms have balconies. They are right on the beach in Dorado... easy to find. I've stayed there several times. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. Wait until after morning rush hour traffic before heading into San Juan though.

Unfortunately, the Hyatt Cerromar Beach closed 3 years ago and the Hyatt Dorado Beach is closing at the end of this month (May), so those options are out. There's really not much else between San Juan and Arecibo.

Dave :) :) :)

Canalwen, will you a full precruise day or are you arriving sometime during the day.?

I say this cause getting to the caves late can be a problem.

Also will you have a car to go there on your own.?

Let me know.

You might also want to mention when will you be on the island.

Countryside

We will be in San Juan on Saturday January 13, 2007. I know that is a long way off, but we have never been to San Juan, and we would really like to do something while we are there.

We are flying in from New England on a flight that is due to get in around noon. From the sounds of things, we probably won't get to see the caves and will have to return to San Juan another time to see other parts of Puerto Rico. I guess we will stay in the San Juan area and tour the Old San Juan area this time.

Thanks for your help

Archived