Has anyone taken the Oslo fjord 2 hour boat trip?

My husband and I will be in Oslo on 7/30/06. I love nature and I saw on a web site a boat trip through the Oslo fjords. I would like to know if this trip is worth the time. I would appreciate any help.

Thank You

Sharon

1) since you posted the question on this board, I assume you will be arriving by ship - as a result, you will be sailing in the fjord on arrival and out on departure

= 2 opportunities to see Oslofjord

- if you are lucky and the time is convenient, you may even get some commentary from either the Norwegian guide/host on board (if your ship has one), or the captain (if he is Norwegian or even if he isn't and knows a bit about the area)

2) don't assume that, because it's called "OsloFJORD" that it is a fjord like Aurlandsfjord coming into Geiranger - the fjord coming into Oslo is a long channel, and does get quite narrow in places - but the sides are rocky and hilly, spotted with Norwegian vacation homes and a few small towns - this fjord is very pleasant, but not one of the spectacular mountainsided ones with the sheer drops 500-1000m cliffs.

Bottom line - there are so many things to see in Oslo, I wouldn't spend my limited time there on a boat tour.

do not miss the Vigeland sculpture garden. it is really something special to see and it's free. easy to take the #12 tram right near where you leave the ship.

the National Museum was very nice and free as well. has "the Scream" there and a Van Gogh self portrait plus some other interesting works by Scandinavian artists we didn't know previously.

try a pancake from a street vendor. with strawberries and whipped cream. walk along the pedestrian shopping street. a small place easy to get around. the ship parks right IN town. a few feet from the Arkhus castle which we also explored for free.

didn't have to spend any money in Oslo really except the tram ticket which was $8 each round trip.

we were told that you can take pictures of the ship inside the viking museum without paying admission as they are sitting in the window but we didn't go over there. you don't have much time in Oslo. it would have been a disappointing stop if not for the Vigeland sculptures. there are also sculptures all over the town by him and other artists. really nice works.

we enjoyed just strolling around there especially on the last day of such an intensive trip.

Linda

believe it or not, it was WORTH IT to get up at 3:30am to watch the sunrise as we entered the OSLO fjord. it was the most incredible sunrise ever!! people in the office are using our pictures of it as their screen savers. then we went back to bed and got up again at 5:30 to watch all the little houses go by. there is even a better view of the houses and islands on the way out of the fjord as it was brighter sunlight but we didn't know that then or would have slept another hour. all the houses are bright yellow or bright red. just like a postcard.

Archived