Carnival Excursion - Beginner's Scuba Diving

wildsuey

Get your SCUBA certification state side.

It's hard - ne'er impossible - to get the training and safety knowledge your life depends on 'short shrift' in a resort course. Unfortunately, diver accident and mortality statistics corroborate this grim fact.

Has anyone out there taken or heard anything about the beginner's scuba diving excursion offered by Carnival?
The description "offered by Carnival" is quite accurate as it is really provided by a local dive operator and Carnival is only the booking agent.

Can you tell me the pros and cons?

Pros: is it easier to arrange, the transportation is probably included, you get to do the dive with other cruisers from your ship, easy to get your money back if the ship doesn't make port in GCM

Cons: usually cost more, usually a larger group (with a discover scuba dive, the smaller the group the better)

Getting certified is definitely safer if you plan on going diving more than just this one time, but IMO a Discover Scuba dive is a good way to decide if diving is really something you want to invest in, or just a one time thing. As to the safety, I don't wish to contradict woodofpine, but I personally think it is plenty safe. At least safe enough to let my 10 y/o DD do it in Cozumel last year. Of course, I went along with her, she had the instructor to her self, and she has used scuba gear before in the pool so she is really comfortable underwater. YMMV

Personally, I wouldn't go thru the ship for this, I'd make my own arrangements. I'd look at http://www.divetech.com They have the best shore dive site. http://www.sunsethouse.com/resort.php is also worth a look and you can probably just walk there from the tender dock.

Archived