Beach umbrellas-allowed/available on hawai beaches?

kitchacaT

I am going on the poh on aug 14th and am wondering if umbrellas are allowed and available to rent on beaches on hawaii. I plan to go to some North shore beaches in oahu, then lanikai and waikiki on the south shore.

During the cruise I hope to go to Kaanapali in maui, Poipu or Hanalei in Kuaui - If anyone could give input on which is better, and Honaunau bay in Kona.

I am willing to bring one and then just junk it if there are no rentals. i just find it very hard to stay in the sun all day. I justneed to know if they are restricted or allowed and available to rent.

Thanks alot.

Kitchacat

Umbrellas are generally permitted. Places to rent might be scarce though - Waikiki would probably have but Lanikai definitely won't have and North Shore will most likely not have as well. Better to buy a cheapy and dump it when you leave. Go to Wal-mart or something when you get here to avoid transporting a beach umbrella on a flight.

Spleen

Umbrellas are generally permitted. Places to rent might be scarce though - Waikiki would probably have but Lanikai definitely won't have and North Shore will most likely not have as well. Better to buy a cheapy and dump it when you leave. Go to Wal-mart or something when you get here to avoid transporting a beach umbrella on a flight.

Spleen

I'll add that the trade winds can be pretty strong, maybe

too strong for some umbrellas. Many of the beaches have

trees and/or shelters with shade just above the sand area, so

you can have some shelter from the sun, but it is still just

a short walk into the surf.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again spleen for the advice. Buy and leave will be the way to go.

Bobnsandi-good point about the wind. I did wonder about it because all of the pictures I see of the beaches are never dotted with umbrellas,like our beaches here on Long Island are..so I thought maybe they were restricted or Blown way...:D

Archived