Pier to Divi to Pier to Font St???????Help!!!

lisas414

I am trying to do the "less expensive" beach day with 6 people....what I mean is entrance fees to beaches, taxi rides each way, etc. I was thinking of doing the Divi Beach Resort. Can someone please tell be a bit about it? Would 4 teenage girls like it there? How is the water, calm or wavy? Never been to St. Maartan before. How far of a ride is it in the taxi from the pier? Then what do people normally do, go back to the boat and shower and change from the beach and then head out to Font Street or do they go directly to Font St from the beach? I think that we have more than enough time to go back and change and get out of our "sndy suits", but then how far is Font Street from the pier? Another taxi ride again? Could we walk it or no? See, I have no idea of the distances, how bad am I? Any info on this subject from people's past experiences would be greatly appreciated. 1st cruise and I am just trying to get as much info as possible so I can make my decision. Thanks Guys!

Here is a map that should help you get an idea where everything is. Divi is Little Bay. The pier is the little blue line that just out into Great Bay from Pointe Blanche Hill. The distance really isn't as far as it seems. You can walk from town to the pier, but is isn't a quick walk. There is a water taxi that can take you back and forth from the pier to Front Street. There are tons of taxis that are at the end of the pier to take you to Divi. We have never gone back to the ship after a day at the beach; we just pull our shorts and tops on over our swimsuits and go into town. That soft sand just falls off us!

I hope this helps some.

I have never been there, sorry. It really isn't far from the pier to that area, maybe 15 minutes by taxi if the traffic isn't bad? Here is Divi's website: http://www.divilittlebay.com/divilittlebay/resort.asp

If you do a search on this board I am sure you can come up with a wealth of information. I wish I could help you out more. Sorry.

I just moved two threads to the front. I hope you can find what you want there!

All the beaches in St. Maarten are public, so there are no "entrance fees". Here is a picture of the Great Bay area showing the cruise terminal, Philipsburg and Divi. I certainly wouldn't go back to the ship to change clothes as it would be a HUGE waste of time and money.

Matter of fact, I wouldn't even go to Divi. Why take a 3rd rate beach when you could go to Orient, one of the top 3 beaches in the entire Caribbean. Go shopping in Philipsburg then do the beach. With a group of 6 people, the taxi fare should be about $5-6 per person each way. You'll spend almost that much just getting to and from Divi. Besides, the sand at Divi is very coarse (compared to Orient) and it's just a hotel beach.

I hear that Divi is great and Orient is around a 30 minute ride or so and can cost about $10.00 pp each way. So have you ever been to Divi? Is Orient that good, I hear that it is over-rated and very crowded. We are very laid back people and just want to relax in the water. I thought that Divi would be good for us, not I am having second thoughts. What about St. Thomas, would you advise Meagan's Bay? Have you ever been there? I heard that one is very nice too.

Orient beach is defintely the way to go, it is not that far and you will enjoy it much more. Divi is a hotel beach, one hotel one beach, oreint has a wealth of bars restaurants and great people watching. you will enjoy orient much more in my opinion. Just my thoughts

I hear that Divi is great and Orient is around a 30 minute ride or so and can cost about $10.00 pp each way. So have you ever been to Divi? Is Orient that good, I hear that it is over-rated and very crowded. We are very laid back people and just want to relax in the water. I thought that Divi would be good for us, not I am having second thoughts. What about St. Thomas, would you advise Meagan's Bay? Have you ever been there? I heard that one is very nice too.

There really is no comparison between Orient and Divi. Divi is an okay beach but Orient is definitely major league. With moderate traffic it takes 15 minutes to get to Orient. If you are laid back people and just want to sit in some water, then maybe Divi would work. Unless you go in a taxi all my yourself, the price should be about $5-6 per person. The taxi ride to Divi would be $4/person. By the way, I know people who own timeshares at Divi and don't even use that beach. They go to Orient.

Meagan's Bay? Yes I have been there and that one is REALLY over rated. Again, no comparison to Orient

I have gone to Little Bay for the past four years. I stay at the Belair, which is next door to the Divi. We always go for 10 days, and venture out to all beaches, including Orient. I happen to love the beach by the Divi. The water is very calm, and great for the kids. The Divi has a pool on the beach, and restaurant and bar. So if you are just looking to relax, Its a great spot. There are beach chairs, volley ball net, and a beautiful macaw parrot names gizmo.

We venture out all over the island. Orient Beach is nice, its very windy.

You have a lot of restaurants and bars. Its on the French side, so be aware that its clothing optional. Some people do have an issue with that.

I wouldnt go back to the ship after the beach. You can walk around in shorts on Front Street. St. Martin is very casual.

Can you walk to Font Street from the Divi Beach Resort? Or is something that we should take a taxi to also? I am trying to familiarize myself with the distance? Sorry for the bother. How far is Font Street from Divi Beach?

The distance from Divi to the center of Front Street (Courthouse) is ONE MILE. And this is thru a difficult, hilly route and undesireable neighborhood.

I have been to Orient two times. Both times the water was rough and it was windy. I am trying Divi this time. I would rather have calm waters.

St Thomas , I would suggest Coki or Sapphire. Sapphire is beautiful, a bit far but worth it. Quiet. Coki, is a more fun beach and the snorkeling is alot better.

Last cruise we went to Pinel Island. People at Orient said the water was rough, but it was fine on the island since the beach faces a different direction.

Any beach on St. Maarten can be rough. It all depends on the current weather conditions. Dawn Beach is the only beach that is more often rough than any others because it is directly exposed to the ocean currents. Orient does not have that direct exposure due to the placement of Pinel, Green Caye and Titamare Islands. It also depends on time of the season. During hurricane season you will see stronger winds than in the spring/summer.

Even then, since Orient is almost 1.5 miles long situated in an embayment, the northerly end will have more waves than the southerly end. If you don't like a particular section of the beach, just more up or down.

Not to sound "prudish", but how much nudity is there at Orient Beach? I'm traveling with my 2 teenage sons (14 and 16) and was just wondering. I'm not naive enough to think they haven't seen it somewhere before but I don't want to be the one arranging for it, if you know what I mean.

....2 teenage sons (14 and 16) and was just wondering. I'm not naive enough to think they haven't seen it somewhere before but I don't want to be the one arranging for it, if you know what I mean.

I would guess your boys will be disappointed. What they see at Orient will be very tame compared to what kids today see on the internet. But hey, what a better way to introduce them to the real world of international cultural differences. As they say, "Toto, you're not in Kansas any more". Definitely a learning experience that they shouldn't miss.

It all depends on the day of the week. On cruise ship days, I would say about 15% of the women will be topless. Now and then you might see a nudie stroll by, but most nudies wear a cover when walking on the major section of the beach.

Archived