front row seat for shuttle launch

edpeeks

Bill - I am rather surprised, with all of the pros and cons we have been hearing, that they are even considering launching. What is your opinion? I believe they should not go forward if there is even the smallest doubt, MHO.

Every launch and every return has risk factors. They are certainly more strict than before Challenger and Columbia. I am sure they are always considering the thresh holds that must be crossed to consider the launch viable, and to roll the unit to the pad area, means that they have at least considered that far. July 1-19 events and problems will determine the actual "go" or "no go" decision.

But -- this is off topic, maybe, sorry to all.

I think the closest anyone is allowed to the launch platform is 3 miles. The pier is farther away than that.

Good old Google Earth. NASA owns something like 20 miles of coastline. The launchpad that the shuttle uses is about 14 miles from the cruise terminal. I underestimated this distance in a previous post. There are many, many other launchpads that NASA uses for smaller vehicles (you can see them in GE) that are much closer (5-6 miles away). These would be used to get your average satellite in orbit.

Link to shuttle launchpad:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=28.608373,-80.604222&spn=0.054781,0.080509&t=k&om=1

Archived