Help needed Re: Fresh Water Fishing in Alaska

brtraveler

We will be taking an island passage cruise in late August/early September. Our ports of call will be Wrangell, Juneau, Skagway, Sitka, and Ketchikan. We will typically be in port from 8:am to 5:00pm or 6:00pm. I know several in my group would like to do some stream fishing either fly fishing or rod and reel. They would prefer not having to fly somewhere, but take a ride to get to the stream, Two in my group who are very interested in this trip are my 80 year old parents - so no long hike to the stream - need a fairly easy walk. We did this a few years ago on a different cruise and they loved it so I would like to arrange such a trip for them again. Our ship seems to only be offering salt water fishing - which they do nearly every weekend off the Louisiana coast.

Do any of you know of any tour/ guide I could contact for such a trip? I would appreciate any websites, email addresses or phone numbers.

Thank you for your help,

Jean Wilcox

We are going on the Diamond Princess in the first week in August and have booked the fresh water fishing in Chilkoot lake out of Haines. We dock at Skagway and take a ferry and bus combo to the lake. Its on a pontoon boat so its pretty low impact. I haven't seen many reviews on this excursion, they have only two boats on the lake so its relatively low usage. Its catch and release only.

I will post a review when our cruise is done so look for it if you are interested.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been doing so research on fresh water/fly fishing out of Ketchikan and have found somebody who will conduct such tours and provide all the gear. I don't know if this interests you, but I thought I would give you her name in case you are interested.

The name of the person who conducts independent fly fishing out of Ketchikan is Julie Mattson. She works with Cape Fox, but has formed her own business to help independent travelers. Her email address is as follows:

juju120368@gci.net

And her cell phone is (907) 617-0476.

I have not yet fished with her, but she seems very nice.

If you contact her, tell her Jean Wilcox referred you. We're kind of curious how much business this might create.

Good luck and Happy Fishing.

Brtraveler

Archived