Pre-Post Cruise trip help for June 2007

Jacquelyn11

Since they don't have a NYC port of call listed, this seems to be the best place to ask this.

This will be our first visit to NYC. We have one night pre cruise and 5-6 days post cruise. DH and I will be 47 at cruise time, with two DS 13 & 14. We are lucky enough to be Hilton Grand vacation Club members and we have enough HHonors points to stay at any of the Hilton Chain of hotels.

We are on the Carnival Legend departing 5/27 and returning 6/4. We are flying from ATL the Saturday before to catch some of the Fleet Week Activites and to see the Intrepid. I have initally booked the Embassy suites for the one night pre cruise stay, 102 North End, on the Hudson River. It looks to be about a mile or so from the cruise terminal. I was debating the Waldorf Astoria as it is now part of the hilton chain. Is it worth the hype to stay there just one night?

Post cruise I'm trying to decide where the best area to stay is. We return on a Monday and plan to fly back on Saturday. We plan to get one of the City Passes to see the Museums and tours on it, and get a 7 day Metro Card to get us around, or would relying on Taxis be better? We want to do the main touristy things, EOB, SOL, GCS, WTC, CP. I'm trying to get tickets to GMA and Regis & Kelly. I'm not that much of a shopper (except when I go on a cruise!) so Macy's, Bloomies and the shopping district we can skip. With the two teen boys, both interested in science/math (NOT girl, yet!) We wanted to go to the Intrepid and the Science museum or other places they might like. I'd like to go to a broadway show one evening. Will 5 full days be enough or should I stay Saturday also?

We would like to stay at a hilton brand that has a "Suite" like the Embassy or Doubletree (the former includes bkfst!) Or a Hilton Garden or Hampton inn that includes breakfast. On thing I have noticed that most NYC Manhatten hotels DO NOT have a pool! My boys will just have to deal with it!

Any suggestions on hotels, activites or attractions would be most appreciated!

Jacquelyn :D

Archived