Please help with category question

tradingspaces

Using the Crown Princess as an example:

Can someone please explain to me the difference between categories BA/BB/BC/BD/BE/BF/BG? What is the difference between a stateroom on the Caribe Deck category BA and a stateroom on Caribe Deck category BB.

Thanks for your help

Laura

OK, last question about this topic. What makes it a better location - not close to the elevators - close to the elevators - is noise a factor. So my question is what are the factors that make the location of a BA room better than a BB room?

Laura

Using your example, for the Grand class of Princess ships (Grand, Golden, Diamond, Sapphire or Caribbean Princess), a cat BA on Caribe deck is the same cabin size and balcony size as a cat BB on Caribe Deck. The only difference is that the cat BA on Caribe is mid-ships and the cat BB cabins on Caribe deck are more forward or aft. Higher category cabins are generally located on higher decks and more mid-ship.

However, on the 'Grand Class' Princess ships mentioned above, the Caribe deck has larger balconies than the balcony cabins on the decks above due to the 'tiered' design of the ship. This means that Caribe deck balcony cabins are rated as BB and BA, even though Caribe deck is lower than Lido, Aloha, Riveria and Baja.

What I find frustrating is if you book a BA category balcony as a guarantee on these ships, you could be assigned a Caribe deck cabin (with larger balcony, which I prefer) or a smaller balcony higher up on Lido deck as this is also rated cat BA. Same with booking BB guarantee - you could get a Caribe deck cabin or be assigned to the higher decks with their smaller balconies.

Due to my preference for the larger balcony size on Caribe deck, I always choose my cabin when I book cat BA or BB on these ships. I would not be happy to find I was assigned a smaller balcony just because Princess assumes that a higher deck is an upgrade...

Hope this helps.

Enjoy your cruise!

I have not personally been on the Crown (only Golden, Star and Caribbean Princess), however, based on the feedback from Crown Princess cruisers to date - only the Caribe deck balconies are larger (approx. 9 ft x 9 ft) with partial cover - same as on the other 'Grand Class' Princess ships. All the balcony cabins located above Caribe deck would be the 9 ft. wide x 5 ft. deep balcony with full ceiling overhang.

Archived