Ketchikan Mt Point Snorkel Review

Mandypup

Hi everyone

I promised a review of this excursion when we got back (better late than never!)

For background, my hubby and I are avid snorkelers and good swimmers, and have experience with open ocean as well as beach and reef snorkeling.

I was a bit nervous about this snorkel, primarily because I don't like to be cold, but also because I had injured my hip the day prior and was having trouble walking. Since we couldn't get out of it and had already paid, we decided to go ahead and see if I would be able to move once in the water.

First, the staff is excellent. They immediately made us comfortable that it would be a great trip and were very attentive and concerned about everyone during the excursion. They help you get into wetsuits, as well as reassure you as needed during the entire excursion! They explain everything multiple times and check frequently to make sure everyone is okay.

Once we got to the location, we changed into wetsuits, boots, hoods and gloves. I've never worn a full wetsuit (only shorties) before. If you are claustrophobic, this getup might be a problem for you, especially once you have to put the hood on. One lady in the group was a little distressed, and I had to fight not to be a bit panicked about the confinement of the suit and being very warm once I got it on. It is just a few minutes by bus to the snorkel point tho from there. Believe me, I couldn't wait to get into the water I was so hot with the suit on! There is a bit of a walk (about 50 feet or so) down to the water, on a dirt path and over rocks.

Once in the water you are cold for about 3 seconds as the water warms to your body temperature. The water is FILLED with little jellyfish but since you are literally covered head to toe there is nothing to worry about. According to the staff, only the orange ones sting (and I made sure to get my head out of the water when I saw them - since the area around your mouth is vulnerable). I have never touched jellyfish before and they are heavier than you would expect. We saw lots of fish (sorry, but I can't give you the names of any!) and swam thru kelp on our explorations - something I had never done before. Very cool.

After about 40 min, I did start to get a bit chilled but we were headed back anyway. After you get out of the water, you get warm water to pour in your suit - ahhh! - and a hot drink back at the changing area. Bring $10 or $20 for pictures and a tip if you like. We had to have proof of course that we'd done it :)

It was a very enjoyable excursion and I would definitely recommend it if you want to try something different on your Alaska trip.

I have been looking forward to this for over a year. Everyone else in my party thinks I'm crazy.

Do you all stay together in a group? I'll be travelling solo to this and hoping it wouldn't be a problem, you know the 'buddy' system.

Also how strenuous was the swim? Not only was I stuck on one of the 'Bleach" NORO cruises in March, but I was thrown off my horse and fractured my pelvis in several places as well as compressing a disk. My doc gave me the okay as long as I don't OVER DO it. Bones are almost healed, range of motion is fine, muscles just a little under the weather.

Glad you had a great time, and thanks for reporting it!:)

I am really looking forward to this one.

Dave:eek:

.....Do you all stay together in a group? I'll be travelling solo to this and hoping it wouldn't be a problem, you know the 'buddy' system.

Hi Dave

You will stay together as a group, and the staff keeps a close eye on everyone. There were 3 staff members with our group of 8 people. No need to buddy up and they didn't even mention it.

Also how strenuous was the swim? Not only was I stuck on one of the 'Bleach" NORO cruises in March, but I was thrown off my horse and fractured my pelvis in several places as well as compressing a disk. My doc gave me the okay as long as I don't OVER DO it. Bones are almost healed, range of motion is fine, muscles just a little under the weather.

OUCH! I don't know if currents change (we did it at the end of May), but I would say it was "easy" for the swim. Mostly drifting and a bit of kicking. I certainly didn't feel it and I was having a hard time just walking at that point. However, the walk down to the beach might be a challenge for you. It isn't long, but the ground is uneven, and you have to go over rocks in one place. One lady in our group with a balance problem just took her time and did fine. Actually, getting the wetsuit on and off was the hardest part of the tour. :D

Have fun!

Oh, forgot to mention for all you snorkel afficionados:

Visibility is good - 20-25 feet on the day we went which supposedly wasn't as good as it can be.

Sealife is similar to what you would see at the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

Their equipment is excellent - I normally bring my own mask because I'm hard to fit but I didn't have any problem. (Couldn't fit a mask and snorkel in my suitcase, if you must know. :D )

But will those of us who have snorkled in places such as Hawaii be dissappointed?

If you are expecting it to be like Hawaii you will be disappointed. It is very different. Not coral reef-type snorkeling, but Pacific Northwest. Rockfish, eel, kelp, jellyfish. If you're looking for lots of colorful fish, you'll be disappointed. If you want to try something different, you'll enjoy it.

fwiw, we have snorkeled in Panama, Hawaii, Galapagos, Mexico (both sides), and Carribean; coral reefs, open ocean, from the beach. Always enjoy it if there is any visibility. We enjoy wildlife of any kind land or sea. Actually, I'm not too keen on seeing sharks :D

Plus, how many people can say they snorkeled in Alaska? It's a great conversation starter.

Archived