Princess rail to Denali

misspuss

My hubby and I will be taking the railcar from whittier to Danali in Sept.

Can anyone tell me what kind of food they searve on the train and an idea of the prices?

I have read several posts saying that the seating on the train is not very comforable. since we are not small people, should I be worried? ( well, yes,OF COURSE I will worry about something I can do nothing about!)

Any feedback or information would be much appriciated.

Thanks,

Sue

The table seating on the upper level is very roomy. The dining room booths are a little tighter. As I remember, the lunch menu included a 4-6 choices including club sandwich, reindeer chili in a bread bowl, quiche, etc....

Can't answer the question. May 2002...snow melt flooded tracks and cars could not get north to pick us up in Fairbanks. :( We became part of a tight knit group on the southbound ship who didn't believe the train existed. Let me know about the reindeer chili...that would have been my menu choice!

(Even by bus the scenery was fantastic and we loved every minute of it):) :)

Reindeer chili would have been my 1st choice, but the train was over an hour late, so we were all standing out in late June heat at Denali. Then the AC wasn't working our car with the sun beating down on us. And my seating area was in the last group to go to the dining room. Under the circumstances, the reindeer chili was not a popular item -- which is apparently why every entree besides the chili and a club sandwich were already gone. :) It was mild and not too spicy, but not a very light meal. So, to compensate, we all had ice cream for dessert.:D

The train conditions were obviously beyond Princess's control and the staff did a great job of making sure we all had plenty of water to drink. The outdoor observation areas were very crowded that day!

Princess does its own maintenance on the railcars, having no A/C in a glass topped car sounds like a roast. Wonder if someone on the train called their shop for assistance? Probably needed the train stopped to check anything out on it, though.

Hope the Ice Cream was free. Running out of food is not acceptable either, wonder if they checked with the other kitchen car for supplies?

Train had been stopped for a power problem (electrical not locomotive) and AC for the back cars didn't recover afterwards. It was blowing tepid air which helped just a little, but it was very warm. And it's not like you can bad-order a car full of passengers. ;)

Prices on the train were in line with the lunch prices at the lodges. I'm thinking $8-10, maybe? The lack of AC wasn't too much fun, but everyone made the best of it. We had beautiful views of McKinley all day long. We are on vacation, and we're in Alaska.

Archived