fishing options

YooperGale

Last time we went to Alaska, my husband cancelled the fishing trip he had booked as a shore excursion because he was told you hardly even get to hold the rod. Can anyone give us advice about a fishing excursion while in port that would be good. We are sailing Northbound on Carnival spirt in May of "07.

Thanks,

Gale

We just got back from Alaska and enthusiatically recommend Capt. Ken at Northern Light Charters in Ketchikan. He met us at the dock and put us onto the fish pretty quickly. Not too many were biting that day, but we took three 25 pound Kings and enjoyed our experience immensely. You need to book Ken independently from the cruise line - his website is http://www.ketchikanfishing.net.

Last time we went to Alaska, my husband cancelled the fishing trip he had booked as a shore excursion because he was told you hardly even get to hold the rod. Can anyone give us advice about a fishing excursion while in port that would be good. We are sailing Northbound on Carnival spirt in May of "07.

Thanks,

Gale

Most charter boats, the captain baits your hook, sets your rod, etc. and you just reel it in when the dinner bell rings. Sounds like your husband might enjoy guided fly fishing better as I understand the guide is there if you need him, but pretty much catching them is up to you.

I think you are going a little early for the salmon runs, but trout, greyling and halibut fishing may be an option at that time.

Most charter boats, the captain baits your hook, sets your rod, etc. and you just reel it in when the dinner bell rings...

That's the nature of trolling for salmon. If there are plenty of fish, then it can be exciting, but early May isn't known for being the most exciting time. Your husband would probably enjoy a fishing excursion if it were longer... either a guided freshwater excursion (fly or spin casting), or a full day "combo" trip for salmon and halibut, etc... the more time spent out there, the better the odds of higher fish counts and more activity.

Also, halibut fishing is MUCH more active and involving than trolling for salmon. And... if you can find a good guide in the right area, ask about a technique called "Mooching" for salmon. Instead of setting the gear and waiting for the "dinner bell", fishermen will hold their rod and rely on correct technique and being "on the fish."... then again, mooching is something not many guides do these days since there actually has to be fish there, and a fair bit of skill is necessary... at least on the part of the guide!

-Case

And... if you can find a good guide in the right area, ask about a technique called "Mooching" for salmon. Instead of setting the gear and waiting for the "dinner bell", fishermen will hold their rod and rely on correct technique and being "on the fish."... then again, mooching is something not many guides do these days since there actually has to be fish there, and a fair bit of skill is necessary... at least on the part of the guide!

-Case

Interesting you bring up mooching. Different areas have different techniques. I've found trolling to be done the majority of the time in Alaska and Oregon and more mooching is done in Washington.

I feel like I'm actually fishing when I mooch!

jmo

-Monte

My husband and I went fishing in Sitka on May 31st and had a blast. Our boat consisted of the captain, his first mate Sierra (his dog) and four of us. We caught 6 king salmon within 2 hours and had out fill of fish to bring home! What wonderous meals it has provided us and each time I flash back to the experience of catching it ourselves!

Archived