Red Hook, QM2 and Satue of Liberty

csperry

We are leaving from Red Hook terminal in a few weeks and my DW and I are wondering if you get near the Statue of Liberty when the ship leaves the terminal? Seeing the S of L is a big deal for me.

Thanks in advance

We are leaving from Red Hook terminal in a few weeks and my DW and I are wondering if you get near the Statue of Liberty when the ship leaves the terminal? Seeing the S of L is a big deal for me.

Thanks in advance

Hello csperry,

We just returned from the QM2 on 7/8 and understand your question.

You will have a very good view from the right side and rear of the ship of Lower Manhattan if you happen to have a beautiful and clear day like we had when we left.

Only thing I can tell you about your question about the SOL is that it will be on the right side of the ship on departure. And since she goes straight of the pier ahead out towards the bridge, she will not be that close as she would be if she was coming down the Hudson from Manhattan. Once she enters the shipping lanes of the harbor you will have to only chance to see her on the right side that close.

Below is a picture I took from my balcony on 11 Deck while at the pier.

Weather permitting, you should go to the 13Deck and then the platform on 14 Deck to view your sailing out of the harbor. You will get a super view from thee most top of the ship. The most special time is when approaching the VZ Bridge. When going under you will actually feel like you will beable to TOUCH the roadway. Don't forget to turn around fast afterwards and see how close the funnel is to the roadway also. You would think that it would not clear and the bridge would hit it.

Hope this helps you!

Regards,

:) ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

Archived