Bear Viewing...decisons, desisions

trimixdvr

Will be in Alaska late june next year and want to get in some bear viewing, realizing its largly hit or miss not sure who missis the least. Based on my locations I have the following choices.

Pac creek

brooks falls

Hallo bay

We have everything else squared away except this....any advice greatly appreciated....also has anyone done the zipline tour in juneau?

Will be in Alaska late june next year and want to get in some bear viewing, realizing its largly hit or miss not sure who missis the least. Based on my locations I have the following choices.

Pac creek

brooks falls

Hallo bay

We have everything else squared away except this....any advice greatly appreciated....also has anyone done the zipline tour in juneau?

Having been to Brooks Falls twice and Hallo Bay 3 times (with the fourth time coming up in September), in your time frame, I would MAYBE go to Brooks. If the sockeye (red) salmon aren't coming in yet, Brooks would be somewhat of a bust. The salmon is the main reason the bears congregate at Brooks.

I love Hallo Bay, but the bears in late June are generally in the meadow, unless the sockeye are already running hard. I like to see the bears fishing. Sitting in the meadow, while quiet and very peaceful, watching the bears eating sedge and lolling around, is just not my style. Not that it is not great bear viewing, just not my style.

After the middle of September/early October, I would give Hallo Bay a call and see what they saw this year before you make your decision. Weather and bear patterns have been changing quite a bit in Alaska. Smyra and Clint would be your best reference, as they spend the entire summer in the Katmai, observing the bears.

Thanks alot,

I've been to brooks once before, in late july. Enjoyed it but was reaaly packed. I'm fine with the bears lazing around in the meadow, so sounds like hallo it is. THis will be my wifes first interaction of this type so relaxed may be a good thing (-: as long as there are bears around we'll be happy. Want to try a week out there at peak season sometime but just wanted to get her a day trip and a little expose since we are going to be there anyway....thanks

Archived