French Polynesia...which Islands?

budaman

Will be on Tahitian Princess in Nov. stopping in Bora Bora, Huahine, Raiatea, Moorea & Roratonga. What order would you rate the islands for the quality of diving. Don't know if we will be able to dive all(which is the plan) due to also wanting to see and experience the local flavor of each island. Also any opinions on dive operators you may have experience with. Won't be able to dive Tahiti itself due to flight schedule.

Thanks!

Mike

http://www.homepage.mac.com/sealove/

I have dived on all the islands mentioned except Roratonga (which is part of the Cook Islands, not FP). All are great -- I guess if I had to rate I'd go Moorea, Bora Bora, Raiatea (there is a 104 year old wreck just off of a hotel dock...three masted schooner), and Huahine. My only caveat is that I was there in April/May both times...not November.

Safe diving.

PS

My favorite was the night dive on the Norsby in Raiatea, Rarotonga was great since my experience level and computer allowed me to do a bit more than the rest of the group. Bora Bora was a lousy night dive, but Tapu was pretty good with big Lemon sharks. We did the drift in the morning that used to produce Mantas, but current was slow and was little more than an endurance swim in poor vis, and depth is a definite consideration since in no way can you cover the distance at depth without going into deco. Moorea was last stop and only made one dive since I needed my wetsuit and BC to dry for packing but was one of the better dives. Huahine was also pleasant but had the smallest sharks I've ever seen. Biggest problem I had was trying to guess what weight I needed. Some ops use steel tanks and others use "uncompensated" aluminum. Going back again next year, but doing the Marquesas leg this time and hoping to check out Rangiroa.

Archived