Vegetarian in the Baltics

Guest LetMeGo

I know that in Finland you can have a variety of hot vegetable soups, including some from Market square vendors. There are also sandwiches and other snacks (like pastry with rice and egg butter filling).

There are also some more local foods like a type of bread filled with various... things. :D I know there are meat and fish options, and assume there is also a vegetarian option.

There are also the traditional Christmas delicacies like the sweet turnip/carrot/potato casserole which should be available in at least some restaurants around the year.

Of course there are the usual ethnic restaurants (Indian, Thai, Chinese), and the normal Finnish food restaurants which will serve your basic vegetarian foods... I remember once having a cooked paprika filled with various vegetables, but that's probably among the more exotic dishes.

I'm sure you will find lots of vegetarian food in any port if you ask the local people. :)

Guest LetMeGo
Thx Tero sounds good. What is a cooked paprika? I am only familiar with paprika as a spice.

I should have probably googled that up first... :D

From wikipedia:

Paprika is a mild, powdered seasoning made from sweet red peppers, Capsicum annuum, also referred to as bell peppers. In Hungary and adjacent countries, paprika refers to bell peppers generally.

200px-Paprika.fruits.three.j.jpg

In Finland paprika is the big round thing, which is usually sliced into rings... You can also carve out the seeeds from the middle, and you have a shell larger than a fist.

• 3 weeks later...
I haven't seen too much written about the food at the ports. Can anyone give me a brief overview of the various cusines and will it be difficult for me to get something other than potatoes to eat? Thx in advance

Hi there

Have you gone to Vegsource or Happy Cow online?

There are Vegetarian Restaurant & Health food store listings for virtually all over the world.

You must also check out the listings with locals as the restaurants do take "holiday" as we unhappily discovered recently in Bruges.

Also, I suggest that you watch the local Markets as the fresh veggies & fruits are wonderful & quite available...of course salads are everywhere.

If you are going to St Petersburg, I highly recommend the famous, IDIOT Restaurant. We ate there on our recent Baltic cruise & even the non-Vegetarians delighted in the food & the atmosphere is great too.

You can email me directly with anyother related questions.

SOULHLR@yahoo.com

Have a safe & enjoyable trip.

Raphy

Archived