Cruisetour help

newel

Can anyone tell me about land tours prior to cruise on Princess? We are scheduled to do Tour 12S 8/14 starting on land in Fairbanks. The luggage restrictions for the land portion seem very strict and the carryon size is very small. I had no plans to carry another bag just for this portion. My plane carryon will be too big according to our tour info and yet we need to carry meds, cameras, and other items. Any suggestions?

We went on an Alaska cruisetour last year and I went through your dilemma, but ended up taking 2 suitcases and a carryon. I took a fairly small suitcase for the land tour, sent the larger suitcase on to the ship and used a smaller carryon than I usually take.

You really don't need to dress up until you get to the ship, everything is very casual on the land tour part. The smaller carryon was even too large some of the time for putting at my feet on a bus or train. If your carryon is too large for keeping with you they will put it under the bus or, I think, elsewhere on the train. (On both of our train trips, from Fairbanks to Denali and Talkeetna to Whittaker there was an empty seat nearby where we loaded up our "too large" carryons, but you really can't count on it.)

I packed some things in my suitcase that I normally have in the carryon, i.e. makeup, curling iron, things like that. However you pack, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time...it's a great trip!

Archived