HAL - Please Help re. Lower Promenade

lmt1022

I just found out that I have recieved a supposed upgrade from FF to DD. However, they have me in DD 3429, 2nd from the back on the lower promenade with an obstructed view (not to mention, people walking by the window). I don't see how this is really an upgrade as my one request when I made the reservation was a outside view (I paid extra to not have a porthole)

I called HAL and they stated that they are fully booked. I asked to be downgraded back to my original level or to an E. They said I couldn't do that, but I could go on a waitlist to get a DA cabin one floor below and mid ship, but it would cost $200 a piece.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Have you ever stayed near this room? It looks like there might be stairs right next to the window? Where do they lead and is this noisy (the girl at HAL had no idea where the stairs went--she thought maybe "up" but that would be right into the dining room?

Is there a lot of noise from people walking, talking right outside, etc.

I am on my honeymoon and am not too thrilled with people walking right by my window.

Imt1022: What ship are you on? It is unfortunate that your "upgrade" is not what you would prefer. While we have not stayed in a Cat DD cabin, I am familiar with such cabins in general.

Obstructed view means that you will not have a full view of the ocean from your window due to a structural member on the outside of the railing. You will have a partial view on one side of the obstruction. As far as privacy, the windows are heavily tinted and during the day it is almost impossible to see inside from the outside unless you press your face agains the glass and hold your hands around your face to block out the daylight. At night, however, curtains must be closed as the tinting does not work at night with the room backlighted, that is the room is brighter than the outside. We had a similar cabin on the Prinsendam and we totally enjoyed being able to see outside without anyone being able to see in during the day.

I hope you that if you do wind up on the Lower Promenade deck the convenience of being so close to get outside will offset the your other concerns. We have booked a Cat C guarantee on the LP deck for our Alaska cruise next year.

It sounds like you are in forward cabin adjacent to a staircase in the main showroom that connects the "balcony" to the main floor. I have read of any one complaining about noise in such a cabin, but I concur with the previous poster to re-post your question on the HAL sub-forum on the Cruise Lines forum. I hope this helps you a bit! Have a great cruise!

Thanks Bill,

I am on the HAL Amsterdam. I am actually in the very aft of the ship (2nd from last cabin) I have searched the message boards, and it appears people either love or hate the LP. Quess I'll just have to make the most of it and love it! :)

Imt1022: ah, the Amsterdam, one of our favorite ships! We have cruised twice on her-33 days on her total. On on last cruise on her, we had an aft cabin up on the Navigation deck and loved it. I think I recall the stairs now--I don't think you will notice any noise.

For a nice semi-private spot, go up to the Navigation deck, go aft all the way to the outside and there is a verandah-like area with benches facing aft. Hardly anyone knows about it or goes out there-great place to watch a sunset! Have a great time!

Archived