Dawn Optional Formal vs Elegant

Baitman19

After reading some recent Dawn reviews that have mentioned that there was a night themed as "Elegant" in addition to the usual "Optional Formal night, I was wondering what the "Elegant Night" is all about.

Does anyone know what the dress code is for the "Elegant" night? I know you don't have to dress up, but was wondering since we will be sailing in a month from now.

Happy Sailing,

Monty

There was no explanation of the term "elegant" (or at least I didn't see one posted anywhere, including the Freestyle Daily). I would guess that it's more or less the same as semi-formal - a step down from formal. A coat and tie for men and a cocktail dress for women. But, as you said, it's optional.

I remember seeing elegant as the attire one night on the daily. I think it was Thursday, the second optional formal night. I would say less than 1/3 of people dress formally on the second formal night. We didn't dress specifically for that night. We got dressy for Sunday, then resort casual every other night.

There was a night that the attire was "Caribbean." I was fine in a skirt and a tank :)

I second what Allyscud said, only about 40% of the passengers dressed up the first formal night (and that ranged from tuxes to shirt/tie) and even less dressed up the second optional formal night.

But that is the joy of Freestyle: if you want to dress up, go for it! If you don't want to, then that is perfectly acceptable too!

NCL's "Elegant" Dress Code is similar to RCCL's "Smart Casual"...

I.E. - For Gentlemen - and again I stress "Gentlemen..."

Sportcoat or Blazer...

Long Sleeve Dress Shirt...Monogram is a Plus...

Tie...Club, CC or Fraternity is a Plus...

Dress Slacks Or *"Proper" Bermuda Shorts...See Explanation @ Bottom...*

Dress Socks...Knee Highs if Wearing Shorts...

Dress Shoes...Wingtips, Tassel Loafers, Etc...

So, There you have it...Elegant/Smart Casual for Gentlemen....

Of Course - NCL is Freestyle - "Resort Casual" - is welcomed 24/7...

***"Proper Bermuda Shorts" = Dress Pants that have been cut to no more than three inches above the knee. They should be worn with a belt.

Archived