Londonderry from Belfast

birdabee

I was looking into taking the train from Belfast to Londonderry for the day (Sept 28th Star Princess Trans-Atlantic) rather than doing the ship's tour. It seems pretty straight forward getting there and only 11 pounds for the ticket, but my question is: has anyone been to Londonderry? Is it worth it? Or should we just poke around Belfast for the day? Thanks for any advice...

• 2 weeks later...
I was looking into taking the train from Belfast to Londonderry for the day (Sept 28th Star Princess Trans-Atlantic) rather than doing the ship's tour. It seems pretty straight forward getting there and only 11 pounds for the ticket, but my question is: has anyone been to Londonderry? Is it worth it? Or should we just poke around Belfast for the day? Thanks for any advice...

Take the bus. It is cheaper and quicker and drops you off close to the gate.

Londonderry is wonderful. However, you will find out quickly who is Catholic if you say Londonderry. They say Derry.

There is still a lot of tension there.

We had a wonderful 4 course luncheon on the third? floor of a department store. It was around $5! Ask the locals.

We made it back in time to do a little site seeing and had beers at the famous old pub, Forget the name!

Took a black cab back to the boat in plenty of time.

Try posting your enquiry on the Western Europe board (= sub-board of Europe) and also the Britain board - though many would not consider Northern Ireland to be in Britain, since you're getting answers on a Baltic board, this one is closer geographically and may also generate responses and also Belfast is a common port on British Isles cruises.

There are many posters on these 2 boards who live in the UK and may be able to give you good advice. Also there is info there re other TransAtlantic ports that might be of interest.

BTW - there is lots to see and do in Belfast and searches done on the 2 boards mentioned above should enable you to locate info in previous posts on the topic.

We've been to Belfast several times on previous cruises and really enjoyed it. Have never met such friendly and helpful people.

Like you, we're thinking of going to Londonderry the next time we dock in Belfast, so there's motive in my madness of trying to help you get more replies ;-)

Thanks for the info on Derry (Londonderry). I have been peeking at the "Britain" board, but it seems clogged with plane panic. Now that I've found some responders who have actually been to Belfast. Perhaps you can give me some ideas of things to see and do there if we decide not to scurry out of town? Thanks again.

Take a look at the British Isles/Western Europe board (sub board of Europe). I just did a search on Belfast there and it turned up 5 pages of posts - I know they don't all focus on Belfast itself, but there has to be some relevant info in all that. Also, once again, I'd advise posting your questions there because

a) as mentioned, some very helpful and experienced posters who give advice there don't seem to post on (and perhaps don't read) this Baltic board

b) the most common cruises that visit Northern Ireland are the British Isles and TransAtlantic cruises

We have always found people in Belfast to be very friendly and helpful and eager to welcome tourists and ensure that they enjoy their visit. I feel sorry for them being having to fight the inaccurate (and out of date) impression people in North America seem to have that Belfast is unsafe and the scene of constant sectarian violence. We wander through neighbourhoods and take public transit and haven't had any problems.

Just to make it easier for others who may, in future, be searching for info on Belfast, I'll post some websites there for you that should help.

Archived