Those who have stayed at Hotel El Convento...

LivnLife

Would you mind sharing your experience(s)? Worth the money? What historical sites is it close to? Were you able to walk to many of these places or did you take a cab? And how much are cabs?

Sorry for all the questions, but I figured this is the best board to post them!

Thanks,

Steph

Steph: I posted on your other thread about El Convento. I too would want more info before spending so much..... try this.

Do a search of this forum using "el convento" as the key words.

I just tried it and lots of threads came up. Looked through a few I had not posted on and they all had only great things to say about this hotel.

The sites it is near are any that are in old San Juan. It is only about 15 square blocks so easily walkable. It took us maybe 5 minutes to stroll to El Morro. The cathedral is across the street and the Gate to the City is 2 blocks down the street toward the harbor. We had a wonderful room with a view of the harbor ( the rooms are not large - this was a convent :D ) but nice. The courtyard is lovely with a 355 year old picoteo tree in the middle.

This was a special trip for us - we were celebrating our 25th anniversary with our best friends.... I did not want to "skimp" on the hotel and glad I didnt as it was 1/3 of our 10 day trip.

This is a list of sites from Frommers "Ports of Call" which I used to plan my whole cruise.....

La Princesa - notorious prison - now has art exhibits

City wall - 40 ft high and 20 ft thick - used to go all the way around osj

san juan gate - was the main entrance into sj and the sailing capts would arrive and go up the street to the cathedral and give thanks they made it :D

LaFortaleza - governors house

Felisa Rincon de Gautier museum - museum named after the woman who started "Head Start" program

Plazuela de la Rogativa - famous plaza

Castillo de San Felipe del Morro - " El Morro " fort (its a doozey !)

Casa Blanca - Ponce de Leons family home ( think fountain of youth)

Cuartel de Ballaja - military barracks (now part of it is museum)

Plaza del Quinto Centenario - plaza to commemorate Columbus landing 500 yrs ago

Plaza de San Jose - plaza and church

El Convento - hotel which was originally a Carmelite convent built in 1600's

Cathedral de San Juan - tomb of ponce de leon is here

the list goes on - the book only costs 14.95 and has lots more info.....

restaurants, shopping etc.....

Our taxi from the airport was @ 25.00 for two of us and 4 pieces of luggage. The fares are regulated by the govt.... always ask before you get in !!! We walked all over old San Juan and then a taxi to Pan Am pier was another $ 20.00 but was for 4 of us and a ton of luggage (my best friend brought her kitchen sink ;) ).

I would stay there again in a heartbeat but would also consider staying in Condado at the Numero Uno Guesthouse (on the beach and cheaper) as we ate dinner there one night at Pamelas restaurant and it was best meal we had the whole trip !!! But also not cheap.

Anyway just keep doing "searches" lots of info will come up. Try tripadvisor too. I find those reviews to be pretty much on the mark.

TexanCruzer, thank you so much for your lovely reply, I appreciate it! :) I did find the search button and searched this board-- I received many helpful hits. Happily, DH and I just booked the hotel. You only live once, right? We mine as well enjoy our stay to the fullest. And honestly, the price I received wasn't much more than many 3 stars in the area, so I actually feel like I got a deal! :D We can't wait to stay in the heart of OSJ, and explore.

Thank you again for your response. And if anyone still wants to add their's, please feel free to do so!

~Steph

Archived