ANTARCTICA, MS Nordnorge

if the mayor concern is satability, comfort at rough seas when crossing the drake passage on the way to the antarctic peninsula from ushuaia and back to punta arenas

any idea, comments, reviews, whatever about this vessel

also does anyone knows if they get to cross the circle at 66* 33' 38'' or they turn back before that

thank you very much for answer

• 3 months later...

I travelled to Antarctica onboard the "Nordnorge" in November , I was told that the Drake Passage has 3 moods , the Drake Lake , The Drake Shake and the Drake Quake , I experienced both ends of the spectrum :confused: . My cabin was on deck 5 mid ship (Although one of the smaller cabins it was more than adequet ) , I was grateful to be midship as there was quite a bit of movement but i doubt that any ship would have handled the force 10 sea's anybetter than the Nordnorge and her Captain....

I believe that it depends on conditions as to how far the ship sails and is at the expedition leader and the captains descresion ....

I was more than happy with all the staff onboard the ship , the food was wonderful , I was shocked at the cabin staff and how pristine this ship was kept , I highly recommend sailing with any ship in the Hurtigruten line.

I hope this helps you a little

Oz Belle

ANTARCTICA

"The only place left on the planet that is the way it is meant to be , May we never tame her."

Oz Belle,

Some of the reviews spoke about the food choices being maginal; is this what you found? I want low-fat choices and my wife does not care for fish!

Do I understand that the food and beverages from the cafe are not included but are charged per item?

When you ran into rough seas were many getting sick?

We are on this cruise beginning 2/7/7; any suggestions for preparing for this journey? For example, what to read, what to bring along or not to bring along?

Thanks, Joe

Hi Joe,

First of all I am SO ENVIOUS of you and your wife, I would give anything to go back !!

The food was in my opinion "Great" at Lunch and dinner there was a selection of 4 hot dishes usually a seafood , lamb , chicken and beef or pork plus salads IE "Pasta, Potato, Greek, Coleslaw as well as normal garden salads , there were also cold meats and seafood and a table full of various desserts . Breakfast was always a buffet of ,fresh waffles , bacon, sausages eggs cooked in anyway you like as well as fresh fruit ,cereals yoghurts pastries and an assortment of different breads , infact anything you would find in a 5* hotel buffet. You could also order a specific breakfast from the menu on your table. I do not care for seafood either so on nights where there was seafood as the meal with table service I ordered the alternate menu and it was always delicious ;) I only noticed one thing missing .... As my name indicates I am an Aussie and there was no Vegemite :(

In the cafe on level 4 you can have unlimited tea coffee cakes and sandwiches which are all complementary.

As for the rough sea's !!! welllllll , I would go as far as saying 80% of the passengers were ill, please keep in mind that they were exceptionly rough seas. I was not sick but I am a bit of a pesamist when it comes to seasickness, i simply refuse to have it (has worked for me in some very high seas)to this point ) I did at times feel uncomfortable (clastrophobic) being indoors when the ship was rolling and pitching , I went and sat out on the deck and instantly felt better.

I am a Travel Consultant and am in the process of doing a "Hints Handout"

for my clients traveling to Antarctica and I will also post one here for you when I have completed it .

If you have anymore questions please lt me know and I will be happy to help if possible.

Oz Belle

ANTARCTICA

"The only place left on the planet that is the way it is meant to be , May we never tame her."

We have sailed on this Line before in Norway and enjoyed it. We did fine that wine, beer and cocktails were very expensive, like 8 or 9 dollars for a glass of beer. Can you tell us if prices were cheaper now that the vessel was out of Norway? We are looking at doing this trip next year and any hints would be great.

Archived