Urgent Researching Tallinn, Gdynia, Oslo

Please help.. semi urgent, will be leaving on 30th this month. Not much time for reasearch...

Hello Fellow Cruisers:

Still have 3 more stops to reseach. Would appreciate some help here.

Basically, so far, we found ways to get to Copenhagen, Helsinki, and Stockholm cheaply, either, by bus or train.

We will be on the STAR PRINCESS next week, would appreciate anyone who knows where we dock and how to get to town (cheaply, if possible)

Tallinn: I've read reviews that says you could walk to the town from the pier? Is this true? Someone also mentioned she took a ship shuttle for $4.00 but didn't mention what ship she was on.

Gdynia - Gdansk: A couple of posters here mentioned taking the cruise shuttle into town and then followed by the train. Cheap, but sounds very confusing. Has anyone taken the train and knows exactly how to go about doing so?

If taking the cab, where should we go get them? (I read some reviewers saying it's difficult to get a cab who's willing to take you to town unless you pay for the entire day of excursion with them.)

Oslo: Haven't read much about it. Would appreciate if anyone knows where we dock and how to get to town easy and cheaply if possible.

Thank you all VERY much in advance in helping me with the researching process. REALLY!

I'm sure you'll get some good suggestions, but since those are the last three ports, you'll also have a chance to get some information on the ship, from John Lawrences talks, and especially, I'd guess at the CC get-together the first sea day, at noon in the Wheelhouse Lounge. It should be fun trying to guess who is who. ;)

In Tallinn, there are shuttles for $4 per person each way that will take you very close to the old town part of the city. You still need to walk about 3 or 4 blocks to get to the old town square. But the walk is very easy and streets lined with lots of shops and restaurants. There will be girls dressed in Estonnian outfit handing out city maps to cruisers as you get off. The shuttle buses will have a sign saying Princess shuttle. You get back on the shuttles at the same location as you get off.

We had private guide waiting for us at the Gdynia dock, but I did see some local taxis lined up outside our ship beyond the metal fence. I don't think there were a lot so you might try to be the first ones off the ship to snag a cab.

Almost all the independent cruisers in Oslo either took the HOHO or city tour bus parked next to the ship or walked into the city. Our Star Princess was docked next to the wall of the Fortress. Very walkable into the city centre. You can get a city map inside the tourist information stall located next to the dock. We decided to take the HOHO bus because we wanted to take it easy after all these ports.

Actually, your biggest challenge will be to snag a taxi after the end of the cruise to your Copenhagen hotel or the airport. We got off at 8:30 am and didn't get a cab until 9:50 am! Hundreds behind us probably waited longer!!! The single taxi line snaked so long. Our flight wasn't until 2:00pm so no big deal but there were lots of others very frustrated and angry. If you get off and see the long line, have one person stand in line while the other hunt for your luggages. I suspect that if you left the ship earlier (like around 7:30 am or 8:00 am, the wait would have been much shorter).

Have a wonderful time.

After reading of one passenger's experience on the Princess bus to Gdansk (from this board), I decided we would take the train. I cannot find a decent map of Gdynia, but did learn that the train station is only 2 miles from where the ship docks (See About.com they have a recent review of a Princess Baltic cruise).

The reviewer suggested taking a taxi to the Gdynia train station (taxi should cost $16-20 zloty aprx $5 USD) and then taking the SKM train to Gdansk. It has 12 stops and takes aprx. 1 hour and only costs about $1.25

Enjoy your trip!

In Tallinn, if you have more than two people, then what I would do is take a taxi to the very top of the old town and leisurely walk down. There were several taxis at the dock and it only cost ten euros to take four of us up to the top. This was cheaper than four tickets on the shuttle, which drops you off near the bottom of the hill, I believe.

Nothing against walking up the hill at all, except that time is so frustratingly short in Tallinn with a total of six hours in port. This way, we started off at the top to see the castle and churches area, and then slowly wound our way down to the Town Hall Square for a great early lunch of blinys and Saku beer at a cafe along the square. Then, a little time for shopping and easy walk back to the ship.

We (4 persons) were there last summer. In Tallinn - If you have more than 2 persons, it's better to take a taxi from the pier to town center. Then you could walk around the down, and also walked all the way up to the peak of the down, where you can overlook the city. Absoultely stunning view!!!!!

In Gdansk - there were plenty of taxi line up at the pier and they offer full day tour. You can negoitate with the cab driver. Last year we hired one the the cab at the pier, who took us the the major sites. In my suggestion, it is better to take a private tour at the pier than take train by your own. You will spend a lot of time on the road if you take train on your own.

Here is what I have found out about getting to Gdansk from Gdynia. Trains run every 10 minutes to Gdansk, cost 4 zlotny (under$1) and take about 40 mintues. The station you get off on is Gdansk GLOWNY. From there it is a 15 minute walk into the old town, or you can take a tram #18, #13 or #14. Or you can take a taxi, which would cost about 15 zlotny (very cheap).

To get to the train station in Gdynia, you can take a bus from a stop right near the port terminal. Bus #137 , #119 or #147. It is a 10 minute bus ride to the station (about 4km) The name of the bus stop is Dworzec Morski. Or you can take a taxi.

The train you want to Gdansk is the SKM train. The word for ticket is BILETY. So look for SKM BILETY to buy your ticket.

Easy as pie! The Polish people are extremely nice & helpful. The website for the train schedule is www.skm.pkp.pl

Contact www.gdynia.pl for a map of Gdynia (which includes the port terminal, bus station & train station -- I have one, but I can't figure out how to post it)

Get Rick Steves' "Best of Eastern Europe" book and make copies of this Gdansk and the tri-city area chapter. Very well covered. His "Scandinavia" book covers Copenhagen and Taillin as well as Stockholm.

In Olso you can walk to into town from where the ship docks. There is a cool fortress you can explore.

Judy

We were on the Star.Oslo was only a one half day stop so we were more comfortable doing a ship your. We did the tour that goes to the Viking Museum, the ski jump and the sculpture park. We enjoyed the tour and would have liked to have had more time in Oslo.

THANK YOU ALL for your responses. Here's some follow up questions.. please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

OSLO: There's the HOHO bus, city tour bus or walk to town which is closeby.

Is the city tour bus like a public transportation thing much like the tram #3 in Helsinki?

HOHO - I'd imagine this to be about $25 - $30?

TALLINN: Cruise shuttle for $4/Taxi about $10. Or walking about 15 mins or so into town.

Gdansk: Thanks for much for info on this.

Is there any ATM nearby to get some Zoltys before taking either the taxi or the tram to Gdynia? (and then taking the train to Gdansk) If not do they take USD or EURO?

This is what I found online:

Gdynia Główna Train Station

The main, slightly scummy hall is well outfitted with an ATM, currency exchange (07:00 - 23:00), tourist information (08:00 - 18:00, Sat 09:00 - 16:00, Sun 09:00 - 15:00), a hairdresser, a snack bar, a Rossmann supermarket (09:00 - 20:00) and 24-hour internet access. Departures and arrivals are posted on the yellow and white boards repsectively. Buy domestic and commuter tickets from windows 1 - 10.

Address : Gdynia, Pl. Konstytucji 1

Tel : 058 628 53 08

I imagine this would be the station in Gdynia - Glowna? Can someone confirm this?

Judy - Thanks for the links and Gydnia site. Would you be able to email the map to me? My email is lisalovlee33@rogers.com

Thanks

Regarding Oslo, the HOHO was $25 per person I think. The city tour bus actually is a city tour with a guide that goes around the city for 1 1/2 hours. I think they make a stop at Vigeland Park at one end and walk the the entire tour group across the park and the bus meets everyone at the other end of the park. This is not a city bus and cost around $20 per person (slightly cheaper than HOHO).

If you want to save money, I would just walk into the city centre and catch the local trams to get around. To be honest, by the time we arrived in Oslo port, we were tired and wanted to be driven around. Also, after visiting St. Petersburg, every other port was quaint, not "WOW".

Thanks again.

Oslo: Is the HOHO bus for the entire day or does it has a time limit

Gdansk: Given serious thought to this port, has anyone taken one of the excursions from the taxi drivers? Any idea on pricing, places of visit, and length of time? Thank you again.

We were on the Century docking at Tallinn July 5 and Oslo July 7.

My wife and I took the ship shuttle $5 one way to the Viro Gate. Like above, bought book $7, as I recall) and map from the costumed young ladies, as you walk a block or two from the bus drop off to the main gate of the city. Proceeded to the tourist info office and got a walking map and other info for no cost. We were glad we had the book to go along with the free map. We walked easily to all in the very compact little town, reading from the free guide and the bought guide. Lunched at Troika Restauran on the main square. Bought a few gifts at one of the stores. As we walked the city, made our way to the north exit, then walked about ten minutes to the ship. Town is easily walkable and self-guide-able.

Oslo: we were a little worn out by now, last stop of 12 day. There is a well stocked bunch of shops right at the dock, so catch that as you get back to the ship. Walk a few hundred yards to the ferry to the bygdone island (less than 1$) where the Viking Museet is located, along with Fram and Norse museum. Could spend a short day right there. Took the 31(?) bus to downtown, walked around there for a while, then back to the ship. Shopped right there then climbed around on the Akerhus castle, right next to the ship.

Hope this helps. Both towns are easily do able. In Oslo, you might consider the few "out-of-town" excursions also offered. Heard they were ok from some who went on them. We were quite happy to stay in town.

Have fun!!!!!!

Oslo HOHO was a 48 hours ticket actually, good for 2 days.

If you have left over Estonnian currency or even Euros, you can spend them at the Kalev trailer parked on the dock, very close to ship pier. Kalev has a cute chocolate/truffle/marzipan shop in the old town on 16 Pikk in Tallinn. I bought boxes of chocolate and etc. at the store. Then saw the trailer on the dock and spent the rest of our Euros buying bags of candy. My husband's colleagues at work wolfed up the bag of fruit flavored candy (with dinosaur picture wrapping) very quickly.

Archived