Driving rental car to Chichen Itza?

Frank Burns

We'll be on the Norwegian Dream 10/7/06 and want to rent a car in Progreso and drive to Chichen Itza. Has anyone done this and did it turn out to be a good idea? I speak spanish so I think that will help with finding out directions, but I'm a little nervous to venture out 75 miles away from the port in case of breakdown or flat tire etc. (I'm not sure what condition the rental cars are in there). The map we have looks like you can drive there in a pretty direct way. We will be traveling with two children 11 & 14. The town of Merida sounds wonderful too! Would we have time to visit Chichen Itza and then spend an hour or so in Merida? We will be docked from 8:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. Any information/ advice would be appreciated !

Driving to Chichen Itza shouldn't be a problem. I've rented cars in Merida twice and their condition was just like at home. Remember there is a fee for taking video equipment and for the ruins to be meaningful, you will need to hire a guide. Personally, I've found Uxmal more a little more impressive, less crowded and prettier. For maps, check out http://www.yucatantoday.com

Archived